web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#46564 02/13/05 08:16 AM
OP Offline
Hello,

We experienced a power outage and it must have fried the controller card in the box.

I took the hard drive from the box...attached the dongle on the printer port, and changed the autoexec.bat and config.sys to reflect memory management. (autoexec.386 and config.386)

I'm able to access everything on the HD just fine but can't even get the 3 device drivers to load properly. (ASPI4DOS.SYS; USPI14.SYS & DPTDDL.SYS).

btw, the box I'm using is x686 with 32MB. I am using the oldest box I have.

Is this even possible or is the Infostar box propietary?

Thanks!

[email protected]

System: Executone 228 w/Infostar VX2 VM
Version: ECPU 6.0.5 02/28/96
Options: LCR VMS 432 CA1 BACD Att
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#46565 02/13/05 11:35 PM
JJ Offline
Did you put the Dialogic boards in PC?

The software i designed to run on a 486 IBUS computer. Never tried to run on another type of PC.

Good Luck!!

[This message has been edited by JJ (edited February 14, 2005).]

If all else fails, use a BFH.
#46566 02/14/05 02:43 AM
OP Offline
Thank you for your reply.

Actually, yes I did. I can't really tell if the original computer is a 286 or a 386. But even if the system will function on a 486, that's promising. I have a few 486's that are still in good shape that I can use as backups.

Anyway, I wasn't able to get it configured properly on the 586. So, I tested the power supply and it was bad. I replaced that. I'm able to access the drive just fine in the old box but I'm either having a configuration problem or the modem card is bad. I'm getting an error on the C:\MAIL\SBLOAD function:

Unable to configure memory D0000
Unable to configure memory D...

Still chuggin' along!

Rick

#46567 02/14/05 12:44 PM
JJ Offline
The original systems did not have modems, unless they had fax-on-demand.

The original PC is a IBUS technology. The CPU card should show you what it is. The majority are 286.

Power supplies are common to go out. You should have been able to replace power supple in origanl system and all should be well.

Good Luck!!

If all else fails, use a BFH.
#46568 02/15/05 04:31 PM
Five years ago I tried to migrate this VMS into 586. After 3 weeks I gave up. I am IDS certified, cmh-111 certified and have a degree in electronics. If you figure it out I would love to know.

#46569 02/21/05 07:22 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HuberTex:
Five years ago I tried to migrate this VMS into 586. After 3 weeks I gave up. I am IDS certified, cmh-111 certified and have a degree in electronics. If you figure it out I would love to know.</font>

I would like to help anyone that would like to migrate to another pc platform from the IBUS. Since I am I one of the original design engineers for the VX2 systems I can help here. The configuration and memory address allocation for the dialogic boards are very specific. Please contact me at [email protected] for further assistance.

#46570 02/22/05 11:25 AM
I've done such a migration and it was fairly simple. I xcopied the files on the original drive to an IDE drive, so I could dispense with using the SCSI controller. I left the same CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT in place as was originally used, despite the advanced memory management available with the 486DX2-66 I used. I suggest you do the same, that may alleviate the SBLOAD errors you are getting.

Additionally, the files ASPI4DOS.SYS, USPI14.SYS, and DTPDLL.SYS are SCSI drivers, ASPI4DOS.SYS being for Adaptec, USPI14.SYS for the UltraStor 14F, and DPTDLL.SYS for the DPT 20xx controller cards. Make sure you have one of those cards!

The migration should be turnkey if you xcopy the files from the original HD to an IDE drive, and SYS the drive with the same MS-DOS version as your Infostar was running (mine was running 5.0.) Don't use too large an HD, either, as that can cause problems for the DOS kernel (I used a 2GB drive and made a 540MB primary DOS partition to ensure compatibility with the Infostar software, although MS-DOS 5 should handle a 2.1GB partition.) And make sure it's FAT16! If you use FAT32 the system won't boot as MS-DOS 5's IO.SYS doesn't have support for FAT32.

------------------
We can forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life
is when men are afraid of the light.
- Plato

- Plato
#46571 02/22/05 11:52 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rick Forsythe:

Anyway, I wasn't able to get it configured properly on the 586. So, I tested the power supply and it was bad. I replaced that. I'm able to access the drive just fine in the old box but I'm either having a configuration problem or the modem card is bad. I'm getting an error on the C:\MAIL\SBLOAD function:

Unable to configure memory D0000
Unable to configure memory D...

Still chuggin' along!

Rick
</font>

Oh, and when you decided to stay with the 286 you went back to the original startup files? If you forgot and left them with 386 memory management, that could be causing the SBLOAD errors...

- Plato
#46572 02/23/05 08:19 AM
OP Offline
Hello everyone!

Besides the power supply going, the Digalogic card went as well which is why I was getting errors on SBLOAD. Replaced both and it's up and running again.

I am, however, going to take the opinions you've shared here and prove the Executone tech wrong. I feel quite certain that I can build a backup of this system with a 586 or 686. I still have some new and unused 540 MB hard drives so I'll be sure to use that sized drive and keep it at about 16 or 32 MB or RAM...and also reserving the memory range of D0000-DFFFF for the Digilogic card.

All of you have been very helpful and the responder who helped design the system...I will have note of your ID just in case I run into trouble.

Thanks!

Rick Forsythe

#46573 02/23/05 02:52 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rick Forsythe:
Besides the power supply going, the Digalogic card went as well which is why I was getting errors on SBLOAD. Replaced both and it's up and running again.</font>
That could also explain the errors...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I am, however, going to take the opinions you've shared here and prove the Executone tech wrong.</font>
It's an easy migration; it might have taken me about three HOURS to do. If you also prove him wrong, try not to rub it in smile
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I feel quite certain that I can build a backup of this system with a 586 or 686. I still have some new and unused 540 MB hard drives so I'll be sure to use that sized drive and keep it at about 16 or 32 MB or RAM...and also reserving the memory range of D0000-DFFFF for the Digilogic card. </font>
You'll thank yourself for doing the upgrade. I always worried that the controller or the SCSI drive was going to fail in our original Infostar-- now it's using much newer (and ostensibly more reliable) hardware. I guess the weakest link now would be the Dialogic boards themselves.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">All of you have been very helpful and the responder who helped design the system...I will have note of your ID just in case I run into trouble.

Thanks!

Rick Forsythe</font>

For my part, you're welcome! Hope it all works out for you and you can solve it all using the forums.

[This message has been edited by Orac (edited February 23, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Orac (edited February 23, 2005).]

- Plato
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  nonameyet, pvj 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024