web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello.

Can anyone recommend a software and some basic simple steps to take for a newbie starting out trying to make his first website?

Already tried the geocities/myspace scene and wants to move on to perhaps make a website of their own.

Can you recommend a check list or a step-by-step in order to get started?

Is there a software or starter package to get started such a dreamweaver, frontpage, etc..? Are there softwares that do not require being a programmer to use but rather use graphical interface to edit the website?

Thanks for your help.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Look for a software package such as Web Easy, or hav a look at some other hosting services such as 1and1.com, they have online tools that allow the novice to put together a pretty decent site without knowing any HTML code.

I used Web Easy for years and it worked out wel, you'll need to know how to upload to your host, obviously.

If you are not looking anything too advanced, these and others like them can get you started.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I personally started with Dreamweaver becuase it offers a simple graphical editor to design websites but also allows you to dig into the code if you want to. Now that I am doing web design for clients I still use Dreamweaver but pretty much hand code most of the sites and I still use the graphic editor in Dreamweaver for a site preview.

I've also known a few people that started out using Frontpage for designing simple sites and I've heard good things about it. The only complaints I've heard are when you get into more advanced web design Frontpage can be tricky.

As PhoneSol mentioned a lot of web hosts provide tools to design your own website which is a great way to get started.

If you have any questions or want to talk some more about web design and software just send me a pm.

Moderator-Telrad
Moderator-Telrad
I used Dreamweaver too. I like that you can see the true HTML code when you added or make changes.

I also used frontpage for some things too. I never took any class for either program but they both were user freindly to me.

I tried Frontpage, but I prefer to use Dreamweaver. I know very little about coding.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
A good source for learning about html coding can be found here:

https://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/html/

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
the bad thing about Frontpage is it requires extensions to be setup by the host. Now while most hosts will do this, not all will. Dreamweaver is pretty much the standard used by most people, so you should never have issues getting it published. GoLive from Adobe is also pretty good, but I don't know how much longer it will be available since Adobe bought Macromedia(Dreamweaver maker) a while back. There are several good web hosting companies out there. I use www.icdsoft.com They have been tremendously reliable and there tech support is outstanding. It really helps when I am trying to do something with a site and can't quite get there.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Actually, you only need to have extensions installed IF you use one or more of Frontpage's feature that require them (like form handling).

If you use a website builder program from a webhost or Microsoft live.. you can get a site done fairly fast, but there are limitations... design limitations and function/feature limitations.

There is a lot of software available (free and for a fee) that can be used to create a web site. Just a search on HTML editors or web design programs will get you a bunch to choose from.

There is a tendency to DIY for websites, especially for new businesses becuase of $$ limitations. One thing to consider is what is the best use of your time... learning a program and creating a website, or working getting and serving customers?

~Roland

Admin
Admin
Okay, my new year's resolution is to get a web site up and functional.

PhoneSol, I looked at yours, but I don't think you stiil use Webeasy.

jrbeilke, Is yours lined to your inventory system? It runs maddingly slow, but I like the format.

Z-man, it looks like your website suffers from what mine did for 2 years....Under Construction.

For the others, How often do you have to work on the site? Is there a magic administrator that works from afar? Is this something you grab an intern for?

I'd almost spring the $60-100 for a designed shell, but that would mean I'd have to sit down and define everything. I think I'd be better off using WebEasy and fixing mine on the fly until it's ready for prime time. My goal would be to be online with domain name and everything by March 1.

Carl

P.S. Just for fun, I went to https://www.best-webhosting-2008.com/ where I had been before. Powweb is gone and I went to hostmonster.com

For $118.80 I got my old website back for 2 years and tons of space and nobody looking over my shoulder for running a commercial site.

Now I only have to figure out how to set up the site and my easy peazy New Year's resolution will be complete :-)

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 154 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024