web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
When I was in station repair they sent out to visit an old boomer lineman" just sit for ahile and let him tell you about the old days". Well he showed me all the pictures of the boomers all standing on x-arms and so on, well in the corner of the living room was what looked like a glass xmas tre, turned out it was a groud rod hit by ighting in sandy soil; the sand had crsytalized into glass looked just like a clear glass x-mas tree.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
I like the "Lightning Speed Ready" in the 3rd photo....guess they weren't. :rolleyes:

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
Originally posted by Jim Baldwin:
Is that a roll of BLUE WHITE on the door? :confused: :confused:
Ha, ha, Jim. No, it is type G cross connect wire, 22 gauge, double jacket, white/violet. You already knew that!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
It would be interesting to know if there were a bonding or grounding issue for that section of cable or ped.

Forty six years and still fascinated with Telecommunications!
...wow. I always try to stay indoors during a T-storm, but those photos reinforce the reasons why.

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
OP Offline
It wasn't actually lightning that hit the cable to directly cause this. It hit a newly-erected pole and started a sequence of events.

The lightning took down a 7,200 volt power line which crossed with an aerial telephone cable. I'm guessing that the support strand heated up enough to melt into the cable, causing the resulting failure. This cable count appears to have run back into the cross connect box in the 401-500 pair count of the distribution side.

What is even more interesting is how the damage carried over through the cross connects to the feeder cable count.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
I sure hope no one was injured (or worse). Sure the cabling and other equipment can be fixed/replaced, but people not so much.

Ben Weeks
Network/Phone System Administrator
Originally posted by EV607797:
It wasn't actually lightning that hit the cable to directly cause this. It hit a newly-erected pole and started a sequence of events.

The lightning took down a 7,200 volt power line which crossed with an aerial telephone cable. I'm guessing that the support strand heated up enough to melt into the cable, causing the resulting failure. This cable count appears to have run back into the cross connect box in the 401-500 pair count of the distribution side.

What is even more interesting is how the damage carried over through the cross connects to the feeder cable count.
We are in the lightning captitol of the US here in North/West FL. I have seen all kinds of lightning damaged plant, but when I saw those pics and based on the series of events you described I suspected it was caused by the power and not the actual lightning itself. Even if the cable section is bonded properly and meets spec. If a power company neutral goes open or a hot leg gets crossed it will throw higher voltages on our sheild than we can withstand causing everything to melt down. I have seen it happen a few times, that's why it is so important to test the shield for high voltage before disconnecting. In this case it happened all at once and it was obivious, but sometimes it is more gradual in nature. We could be acting as part of the power company's nuetral if they have an undersized neutral or a high joint or open nuetral. Sometimes these events happen over time and are not as obvious. This can be deadly if you don't do you homework.

Yesterday is a cancelled check, tomorrow is a promissory note, today is the only cash that you really have. So redeem the time and make the most of every opportunity.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,833
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,589 Shoretel
189,475 CTX100 install
187,623 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 148 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024