web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#477492 12/11/08 06:05 AM
OP Offline
OK, so I have FIOS at home, the package with telephone, internet, and TV. Starting on Monday evening at 6:45ish I got a one ring call...picked it up and no one was there. The same thing happened at 8:30ish PM. I thought it was odd, but whatever. So it happens again at 1:30, 1:45, 5:30, 5:50...always the same thing, one ring and then nothing.

On Tuesday it happens again in the evening so I *69 it. The lady on the other end says she is not doing anything...I *69 again when it happens a second time, same lady, same story. So I turned the ringers off my phones that night.

Wednesday and it is the same pattern. The lady calls Verizon and they call me and confirm that she is not calling me...but they do not know what is happening. Verizon is "looking into it" and will call me with details, supposedly. It continues to happen 2 more times before 10pm, and then I turned the ringers off.

For all I know this could be happening all day but since I am not home I have no idea.

Anyone have any clues?

Details:
1. I have one FIOS line
2. Power is not going out or fluctuating
3. No caller ID as it only rings once, but *69 always goes back to the same lady.
4.Verizon says she is not calling me.

Thanks!

Steve

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#477493 12/11/08 10:47 AM
This probably should be in the Complaint Department rather than asking us to figure it out. I have no idea what's happening and Verizon should be taking care of it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#477494 12/11/08 12:55 PM
Verizon... argue

www.phonelinetech.com

"Can I Still Call Out?"
#477495 12/13/08 08:09 AM
On a PRI and some other systems you can set what you want to send as your caller id. To me it seems likely that a company somewhere has a dialer programmed incorrectly with this woman's phone number as the caller id being sent out on the Q.931 which is why it's coming up for you with *69. Similarly, some VoIP providers allow users to change their CPN which has the same effect. There are a few companies out there who have dialers that like to ring once and then disconnect either intentionally or no. I had one number that would pretty consistently come up.

Your chances of having Verizon figure out what's happening if it's a network problem on their end (which I actually believe to be unlikely) is slim to none. Contacting the harassment department is your best first step, but if you get tired of getting nowhere with the telco you may want to complain to them enough to give you selective call rejection for free due your complaint, and then put that number on the list.

Honestly it's a lot easier than trying to stop it any other way....Verizon will eventually come back and either say they don't know what is going on (with the hopes you'll just go away) or say that they can't stop people from calling you on a public network.

--Matt
#477496 12/13/08 08:58 AM
I wonder if FiOS supports Call Trace. Just for kicks, try this:

After receiving the harassment call, immediately hang up. Next, dial *57 (you must do this before any other call comes in). Hopefully, you will hear a recording with instructions for completing the call trace.

Even though this may wind up being a technical issue and not the work of a prankster, Call Trace might aid their troubleshooting.

Also, have you considered contacting the Verizon Nuisance Call Bureau at 800-257-2969? They are the primary contact for these kind of complaints (harassing, nuisance, threatening, obscene, misdirected faxes or computer calls).

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
#477497 12/15/08 02:49 AM
OP Offline
So, whatever was wrong seems to have been worked out. I never received a call from Verizon, but it has not happened again for a few days. I am just happy it stopped!

Originally posted by Malthegreater:
On a PRI and some other systems you can set what you want to send as your caller id. To me it seems likely that a company somewhere has a dialer programmed incorrectly with this woman's phone number as the caller id being sent out on the Q.931 which is why it's coming up for you with *69.
That was my first thought too....and is still what I am leaning towards what happened.

Originally posted by dagwoodsystems:
After receiving the harassment call, immediately hang up. Next, dial *57 (you must do this before any other call comes in). Hopefully, you will hear a recording with instructions for completing the call trace.
Unfortunately call trace through * codes does not work on FIOS (at least that is what they told me, and when I tried anyway it did not work). That was a good idea though! Thanks for the help! :toast:

Steve

#477498 12/15/08 05:33 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Steve, you're going to regret saying that it has stopped. But, I'll bet you realized that as soon as you posted the fact! frown John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#477499 12/15/08 05:53 AM
Unfortunately call trace through * codes does not work on FIOS (at least that is what they told me, and when I tried anyway it did not work).

Interesting. I wonder what else FiOS doesn't support in comparison to regular service. It would be nice to know when advising customers.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#477500 12/15/08 06:14 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Lightninghorse:
Steve, you're going to regret saying that it has stopped. But, I'll bet you realized that as soon as you posted the fact! frown John C.
Yeah, I am still holding my breath for that 2:00am phone call again! mad

I will update if I hear anything.....or if it happens again!

Steve

#477501 12/15/08 11:57 AM
Why wouldn't a standard feature such as call trace not work with FiOS? Regardless of the transport medium it'd still be going back to the same switch in the end and that's where your feature sets are if I'm not mistaken.

That's very interesting to me. It's not stated that the feature doesn't work with FiOS either:

https://www22.verizon.com/ForYourHome/CustomerSupport/Guides/UG_VAS_West.pdf

--Matt
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,099 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,799 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Professor Shadow, Toner), 178 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024