Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tom Man Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Guys, I want to test the signal strength of my lines where they come into my building from AT&T. I have just regular analog lines in a centrex group. Is there a resonably priced tester that will measure the signal and tell me if the signal is strong or weak? Thanks!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

What are you trying to measure? Line current, dB loss, circuit noise?

Tom Man Offline OP
OP Offline
At my switch I'm looking for dB, so I guess dB loss? My Allworx 6x system has a very low volume on the follow-me-forwarding feature. Allworx tells me they system loses about 3-4 dB during the port to port forward and that I need about 10 dB to start with. They system has a built-in "Four Wire Return Loss Measurement" tool to make this measurement with at each port and I'm reading volume -3dB with the tool. So, I chould have weak signal at the dmark or dB loss between the dmark and the switch. Sorry if that's may be too much information... Thanks again!

A -3 dB loss on an analog line at the demarc is a pretty good reading. Anything under -8 dB is considered acceptable on line tests. The fact that you are losing 3-4 dB from port to port within your system seems alarming to me. I don't know that I've worked with anything that drops that much dB that quickly.

In fact in the old days working for Telco. all residential and business lines were designed to be -3db at the cable head (or now called the demarkor network interface).

Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
I'm confused (that isn't too hard for me to do).

"I have just regular analog lines in a centrex group." Are you saying you have Centrex analog lines??

"My Allworx 6X system has a very low volume on the follow-me-forwarding feature" Is this a Centrex feature your're talking about?? Or are you talking about the Call Routes on the 6X??

We just have POTS lines coming in, and use a Prescence on phones to go to cell phones on a call in certain circumstances. We do the same thing using an "Emergency" option in the AA. I've never seen nor heard Allworx refer to this as a "follow-me-forwarding feature".

I don't understand why Centrex lines are even needed on an Allworx. That's why you buy an Allworx.

Now, don't misunderstand...it's probably me. I'm not an expert. Please clarify this for me.
:confused:

Tom Man Offline OP
OP Offline
I had centrex lines before I installed the Allworx system last month and I'm bound by a contract with AT&T for another 10 months.

The "follow-me-forwarding" feature I'm refering to is the "follow-me-anywhere" feature in the Allworx system...I just forgot the name.

I'm definately not an expert, and the whole -3dB lingo is kinda greek to me...but here's the situation; I can't use the follow-me-anywhere feature because the volume is WAY too low. Customers can't hear me and I can't hear them. It sounds like you left the handset in one corner of the room and are talking from the other. I spoke to Allworx support and they told me to run the "Four Wire Return Loss Measurement" test from the maintanence menu and to make sure I have at least 10 dB because the system will drop 3 to 4 dB in the transfer. I ran the test, the results show "volume= -3dBm" So I'm guessing that's why a have a volume problem? JWRacedog can you run the same test on your Allworx and let me know the results? Allworx support also said to make sure the "short loop" was unchecked...which it was. So, if -3dBm is bad and I need 10dBm or -10dBm, whichever is correct...how do I fix it? The trouble is either with the telco...or between the demarkor and my Allworx switch, right? AT&T is comming out next Monday, but there going to hit me with a $55 charge if there is no problem found on their lines...so I'm trying to resolve the problem before they show up...then I can cancel the service call and save the $55 bucks! Thanks again...you guys are great!

You would not want -10 dB coming from the demarc. Your "volume" issue would only be worse if that is the case. Is the dB they are having you check circuit loss, or is it another measurement they are looking for, like an actual volume level?

Tom Man Offline OP
OP Offline
They want the 10db on the" four wire loss return loss measurement", not at the demark

Ran the test. All C.O. line results were -3dBm.

Give an example of what you are trying to do. For example: "A call rings in and is answered by_________. They (or it) then ___________. Call then goes__________." Or something like that.

All I can see in the business/Users/modify section is "Follow Me Calling". Is this what you are referring to?

I still don't know quite what you're trying to accomplish. :shrug:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,835
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,635 Shoretel
189,520 CTX100 install
187,778 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 116 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024