Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#481241 10/26/08 04:47 AM
arc Offline OP
OP Offline
I am putting a new phone system in an apartment building. There are 18 security/courtesy phones in the parking garage and othe public areas. These look like plain old-fashioned Western Electric wall phones, except there is no dial, just a round plastic insert where the dial usually goes. When I picked one up there was no dial tone or pulse. After a few seconds, the front desk just answered. I don't remember if there was a ringback sound first or not.

What kind of phone system can handle this kind of arrangement. Also, how many of these security phones can I put on one extension circuit. Right now it seems that all 18 security phones are on one extension circuit.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#481242 10/26/08 06:10 AM
You can use any PBX that has a "hotline" feature (or some such nomenclature). Avaya Magix and IPO will do this, and I'm quite sure other brands will as well. Usually all that's involved is to flag the guest/no-dial phones as hotline phones, then define the target number in a speed dial list.

Can the front desk call the individual 18 security stations? Or is there only one published extension for all phones? Does anyone ever call security, or are all calls one-way from the security stations to the front desk? Ask those kind of questions to determine whether these are individual extensions or not. The reason you care, partially, has to do with REN (Ringer Equivalency Number). REN is a way to measure "how many phones can a single extension's port ring simultaneously"?

Let's say you implement a Magix with an 016T/R analog board and plan to use just one port and daisy-chain all 18 extensions. Note that a single Magix analog port has a REN rating of 4.0. Let's also say that the security phones are a modern flavor and have a REN of 0.1 (that number is listed on the bottom of the phone).

Next comes the easy math. 18 phones x 0.1 REN = 1.8 total REN. Fortunately, the analog ports we've chosen will support a total REN of 4.0. Were these older phones from the 1930's, an individual phone's REN might be 1.0, which would total 18 REN. Because that number is higher than what our equipment is rated for, it's likely that calls to those 18 stations will not ring.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
#481243 10/26/08 07:22 AM
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Is this the same site as the "elevator phones" in the previous thread?? If it is, then it seems like you are contemplating replacing an older Rolm, Mitel, Toshiba or some other large PBX. You should also be looking for any Viking equipment (line share boxes, phones, ringdown circuits etc.)
Best to find out exactly how everything is working before you start ripping things out.

#481244 10/26/08 07:34 AM
arc Offline OP
OP Offline
The security phones are different than the elevator phones in my other topic. The security phones look like standard 50 year old Western Electric wall phones with a blank plate where the dial normally goes.

I like the suggestion to check the phone room very carefully. So is Viking a brand name I would see on a ringdown box? Would it be on the phones too?

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,396 Shoretel
189,121 CTX100 install
187,421 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (dwflood, justbill), 118 guests, and 424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024