web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
Probably something I should ask my insurance agent but some of you guys do security and might know.

I suggested an IP camera to a customer (a womens shelter office) together with a doorphone and electric strike. They want to monitor who is outside a street level door which they cannot see from their office positions before letting them enter.

At their suggestion this may grow to more than one camera in order to let them see if there is anybody lurking outside on either side of the door who may sneak in behind the person granted access.

So now I'm wondering if I would need additional insurance and would be considered a security installation company because I install CCTV.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

KLD Offline
Hal,

Similar situation here but no camera....just door access boxes and latch releases....checked with my insurer...mine had a all-inclusive for "electronics" as long as I was not the reported-to center that would notify responders.

But your policy may be different due to local laws.

Good Luck.

Ken
---------
Yep, it depends on the laws in your State.

In Texas you don't need to be a licensed security installation company to install cameras in some situations but you do in other situations.
It all depends upon the purpose of the camera. And it's somewhat of a gray area at best, depending on who's interpreting the law.

If the camera is at a door, as in your situation, you don't need a security license. Although an argument could be made that it is for security purposes.

But if the camera is to prevent theft, such as a camera above the cash register in a convenience store, you must be a licensed installer.

One factor to consider is whether or not a recorder is going to be used. If there is a recorder then it leans toward being a security camera. No recorder leans toward a non-security camera.

There now, it's as clear as mud isn't it? laugh

Hal,
I've done lots of NJ installation for Surveillance. Nobody ever asked for License unless it's tied up to security system and put on Monitoring with Police. So, you can go ahead and Install it and do recording on HDD.

Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
We operate like vad60 here in Illinois. As long as there is no monitoring with a company or police---we can install. If there are alarms or monitoring involved---then we would have to have a license.

hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys. I do know that in at least NY the sparkies were assessed more money a few years ago for their insurance because the insurance weasels figured out that they install smoke detectors. These are just plain old smokes in houses that are not connected to anything but each other. So that's what got me wondering, especially since the expanded system could result in somebody getting hurt if it fails to show everything.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Hal,

My concern would be the same as yours, the failure of the camera to display everything (frozen picture) and someone getting hurt. Do they plan on recording the data also because then it gets even stickier with discovery issues if there is an incident.

PS, i am on the other side of town from you.

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,694
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,704 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (JBean3329), 114 guests, and 240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024