Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#482376 03/28/11 07:12 AM
OP Offline
I just installed a GE Simon XT security system. In order to seize the line I installed a Better Ways BW-1 at the telco box outside of my house, ran 4 conductor cable to the control panel where I installed a Better Ways BW-8. Finally I simply plugged in the BW-8 to the control panel.

Notice I didn't use a RJ38X-RJ31X jack, I was told that I didn't need one b/c I was using the Better Way products.

I also have DSL Internet which is now causing static on my phone line. To fix the problem I installed a DSL Alarm Filter manufactured by Gigaware purchased from Radio Shack. This cleared the line, but kicked me off of the Internet.

I'm pretty sure all of the phone jacks in the house are daisy chained together, so adding a DSL line splitter is impossible......at least that's what I'm told.

Can anyone tell me how to seize the line AND have DSL service?

As a footnote, the Gigaware DSL Alarm Filter I purchased from Radio Shack gets very bad reviews. Would it help if I purchased a Z-Blocker instead? Is there a difference between the two?

Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#482377 03/28/11 07:22 AM
Online Content
Sounds to me like you cut the DSL filter out. Best bet put a DSL splitter at the feed and put your DSL on a seporate pair or cable and the rest through the filtered side of the splitter.

Retired phone dude
#482378 03/28/11 08:39 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the quick reply. And I apologize in advance for the list of questions to follow.

In laymen terms, can you explain how to do what you explained?

Would the DSL filter be connected inside the house or outside at the Telco Box?

How would I be able to differentiate between the line running to the phone jack with my modem and all of the other lines?

How would I make that connection?

Are there any picts. I can see of something similar?

#482379 03/28/11 09:38 AM
Online Content
Well the quickest answer to your questions are if your not sure how to do this you probably shouldn't be and get someone in who knows what they are doing. Since I know that's not the answer you want.. wink

Where was the original filter? On each phone or was it at a central location?

If you didn't hear the "static" (which I'm sure you're hearing the data carrier) before than it has something to do with the way you did the wiring for the alarm. Back trace your steps and find where the original filter is/was. An unfiltered pair or cable should go to your DSL modem. A filtered pair or cable should go to your alarm panel and from there the phones.

Here's one link on Installing a DSL splitter I just plugged it into google.

Retired phone dude
#482380 03/28/11 01:29 PM
OP Offline
Thanks, you've been a great help.

I just got off the phone with tech support from my alarm company. Apparently I was given some misinformation from one of their salesman. Long story short, I'm going to install the RJ31X jack tomorrow. I already connected it to my control panel, however, I still have to connect it to my telco box outside. The tech gave me a quick run through on how to make the connections.

1. Existing Red to Yellow
2. Existing Green to Black
3. Red to Red terminal
4. Green to Green terminal

There is a problem though, why wouldn't there be? There is one line coming from the pole that enters the right side of my telco box that I don't have access to. However, there are 2, 4 conductor cables going into the house from the left side of the box (the side I DO have access to). I don't know why that is, I only have 1 telephone number and don't have any issues using any of the jacks in the house.

As a result, my plan is the following. Let me know if it's correct.

1. Both existing Reds to Yellow
2. Both existing Greens to Black
3. Red to Red Terminal
4. Green to Green Terminal

#482381 03/29/11 01:57 AM
Online Content
No. Go to google and pull up how to wire an RJ31X.

You will need to feed your DSL either on a separate pair in the 4pr cable or a separate cable. That's just the DSL.

From the phone side of the splitter/filter you will need to feed the RJ31X. Out of the RJ31X you'll need to feed the phones. This can all be done using different pairs in the same cable. You may be a bit over your head, but find some decent drawings on wiring of the RJ31X to help you.

Getting the DSL with splitter/filter to work properly is separate from wiring the RJ31X.

ADDED NOTE: Make your DSL work with the phones first, before wiring your jack, you try to do it all at once it's just going to confuse you.

Retired phone dude
#482382 03/29/11 02:17 AM
Admin
Admin
[Linked Image from dftcommunications.com]

If you don't have a DSL splitter then use a filter on the phone side and wire the modem direct to the phone line. The problem with this hook up is the modem line will not allow the alarm line seizure to work if it shorts or has other problems . Your alarm panel needs to pass DSL in order to use the line seizure properly.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
#482383 03/29/11 02:27 AM
OP Offline
Met..

Yes, exactly. However, with your setup I would have to run a wire from the DSL Splitter located at the telco box all the way to my modem. I can certainly do that, not easily, but it can be done.

Any suggestions on which splitter to purchase?

#482384 03/29/11 02:51 AM
Online Content
Depending on your wiring you probably can just use a different pair in your 4pr cable to accomplish this, I mentioned that above. A separate cable from the modem to the teco box may help lesson the confussion factor.

Retired phone dude
#482385 03/29/11 03:02 AM
OP Offline
Justbill,

So, if I understand you correctly, basically I can use the yellow and black for my modem. That will separate it from the phones which use green and red?

Not sure how I would do that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,835
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,643 Shoretel
189,527 CTX100 install
187,783 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (dans, justbill), 159 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024