web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#486961 11/29/09 11:42 AM
OP Offline
Two questions for you guys:
1. If the 82 connecting block was designed to make the 4A a "plug 'n' play" device, what was the Model 80 control unit designed to do?

2. As a corollary to the above, if you have a 680 transmitter that has had the amp plug cut off, is there any way to hard wire it to an 82 connecting block? I notice that there are a lot of screw terminal there besides the two a.c. terminals for the 85 transformer input. Could any of these be used for the 680? Also I have a 683 that has all spade tip connections. Would the Model 80 be used for this or the 82?

Bill
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Do you have a photo of the Model 80 control unit? I am not familiar with that one.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

OP Offline
Outwardly it looks like the Model 55 control unit. Go to the TCI library and look under 4A speakerphone. They have the BSP on the 4A with a photo, etc. My problem is I'm not savvy enough to know what all the terms mean that they're using.

Bill
OK, here goes:

Since I can't guess which terms you don't understand, (you could tell us) I'll take a stab that you do not understand what a 4-wire set is. The 80-type control unit is described as being an adapter that allows the 4A speakerphone, generally used in conjunction with a 2-wire set, to be used with a 4-wire set.

A two-wire line is what we all know as a POTS line. It has a Tip and a Ring, and it uses the hybrid coil in the phone's network to derive the transmit and receive functions, and to provide just the right amount of sidetone to the user.

A 4-wire set is attached to a a 4-wire circuit, with a separate transmit pair and a receive pair, for the purposes of being able to control the gain on the transmit and receive functions separately. 4-wire circuits are generally used for private-line service and secure government lines. Sometimes the tel set is equipped with a push-to-talk handset, and a relay inside the set that switches the talk and receive functions, in a half-duplex method. The 568HAA (rotary dial), 2568HAA (12-button dial) and the 3568HAA (Autovon dial)were such sets.

What the BSP is telling us is that the company recognized that there might be a market for the 4A speakerphone set-up on not only 2-wire circuits, but also on 4-wire ones. The 80-type CU makes an electrical adaptation within itself to allow a 4-wire tel set to be compatible with the 4A circuitry which is inherently for 2-wire applications.

What is potentially confusing to someone who does not speak fluent Bell Telephonese, is the use of the term "control unit" to describe the 80-type. Since it looks like a 55-type, and since it's CALLED a control unit, one might naturally assume that they have similar functions. It is not a speakerphone control unit in the same sense that a 55 is. It does not perform the same function(s).

The 4A speakerphone, by design, eliminates the bulky 55 type by having all the electronics in the speaker part. The 80-type is, as explained above, a device that creates a 4-wire set-up from a 2-wire circuit. It should have been called an "adapter" rather than a control unit.

Just another case of needing a time-machine to go back and set the boys at the Labs straight. Too late, I'm afraid.

Arthur P. Bloom

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Good catch Arthur! Besides Government service, 4 Wire lines were also used extensively by the radio & tv networks for overseas communications with correspondents where they wanted better quality circuits (usually live broadcasts).

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
Thank you for explaining that to me. So basically a 80 control unit really is no benefit to me unless I have a 568 phone or equivalent, right? I thought perhaps it was used to wire up non-amp plugs.

Bill
Hi again,

Was the Western Electric 149B adapter (I think that it is a breakout device to install on a 25 pair cable run) used for the speaker phone system (4A)?

Thanks,

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Joe -

I really can't remember exactly what the 149 Adapter was originally designed for. I believe it was designed for the 3B Speakerphone (it predated the 4A by years). It's use made the Violet pairs of the cable accessible on screw terminals.

Ed or Arthur will know for sure.

We mostly used it when we had a key set on a 25 pair cable going to a location and we needed to "pull a pair" (or 5) out neatly. Using it meant you didn't have to butcher the cable or go into the screw terminals on a set.

If you had a 25 pair cable with NO set attached and needed a pair or three (a single line set or two), you could use a 153 adapter.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Sam, you is correct on all points.

Arthur P. Bloom

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nonameyet), 102 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024