web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
I have been researching the 551B KSU, and found on the net a copy of the BSP for this unit and printed it off. It made the wiring much more understandable. However, as questions are answered and I find the documentation, other questions come up.

The first is that the BSP states that there is an optional Frequency Generator (I am assuming it is a 'ring generator') that is listed as part 118A, and the mounting bracket part number D-18069. I am assuming (correct me if I am wrong) that the frequency generator will allow the individual stations to ring eachother. Would it be aventagous to find one of these generators?

The next question is this: can I only have four stations on this system, or can I daisy chain a couple extra phones per station? I know that the maximum number of CO lines is four, but I will stick with only two for this unit. It is not all that important to have more than four stations, because all I am trying to do is show off old phones in a working system.

Again, thank you for your patients with my many questions.

Best,

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Joe -

I'll take a stab, although the experts will probably need to correct me.

I'm guessing it's a ring generator as well. As far as I know, it's not intended to ring station to station, but rather to allow all stations to ring (or I believe, if you want, buzz) on an incoming call. I'm guessing these were added to the KSU because as the number of keysets added to your system increases, the less likely the ringing voltage from the CO would be able to power your ringers. If you are only using 2 keysets you could probably get by without a ring generator (again, this is a guess), although I'm not sure how your ringers would be connected (the ringer leads come down the 25 pair cable on their own pair).

For the second question, as far as I know, there is no limit to the number of keysets you can connect (well, I should say I'm sure there is a limit, but in your setup, you'll probably never reach it).

I do know that you can feed multiple stations from one 25 pair cable (or, as you said, daisy chain), but if you intend to enable station to station intercom with signalling, the buzzer leads will need to be changed over to spare pairs inside the chained keysets, and then those will be the pairs you punch down at the 66 blocks for the intercom signaling functionality.

I think I remember reading that your KSU doesn't natively support intercom (could be wrong about that), but this problem is easily overcome with an external intercom unit. I have a Melco C-19, which provides the talk path voltage, lamp power and buzzer voltage to each station. I'm sure the folks here can point you to a source for a Melco intercom unit if you go down that path.

Hope this helped more than it confused -

Matt

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Joe -

Matt is correct. The 551B is the "shoebox" style of KSU. It will hold 4, 18 pin 400 style cards and has a small power supply. The power supply has 24 VDC (unfiltered) to power the cards' relays, 10 VAC to power the phones lamps, 18 VAC that can be used to power buzzers for an Intercom and 24VDC (filtered) to supply "talk battery" for an Intercom. It does not supply 90-105 VAC for ringing.

The ringer in each phone can be connected directly to the CO line and that phone will ring whenever THAT CO line rings. But suppose you have two phones and three lines - How will you get all three phones ringing?

The answer is by using "common bell" where one ringer can ring on as many lines as appear on the set. This is done by looping the RG & RC leads from each card together and then wiring that loop to the ringer in the phone - but then you need a source of 90- 105VAC ring generator. That's where the external frequency generator comes in. It is actually possible to have a "common buzzer" system. Add a buzzer to the phone and wire 18VAC to the ringing feed for the cards. That's a little ...unusual, but certainly do-able. But yes, a ring generator is a good thing to have.

You can have a manual intercom in your system by using the 4th card slot in the KSU for a 401 type card. This will provide a talkpath between stations (but no signalling). Signalling could be handled by converting line keys to signal buttons or by adding external signal buttons to buzz other stations. With only a few stations this is very common. Your phones could be set up to have Line 1, Line 2, (a Spare key), Manual Intercom and a Signal Button (to buzz the other set).

You could also add an external dial intercom that would mount outside the KSU (like Matt has) that would be powered off the power supply in the KSU. These come in 10 station, 19 station and 37 station sizes (with expansion units available!)and come in Rotary only, Tone only or Combination Signalling.

You could have up to (I think) 17 or 18 phones in the system - more if you add lamp extenders - which is the limiting factor.

Hope this answers your questions.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
Thanks for the info!

Does anyone know of a source for these frequency generators? There is one on e-pay that is getting rather expensive, but I am not sure that it is the correct device. I would rather buy this from either someone who is familiar with phone systems or a business that deals with phone systems.

Thanks again for the help!

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I'll look in the dreaded basement. I'm sure someone here has one.

Sam

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Well, all my "wall warts" (plug in transformers) are in a large bucket. Not quite a 55 gallon drum, but big enough. I'm pretty sure I have one, but if you really want one, post a request in the Buy and Sell Forum and if no one else comes up with one I'll dig one out.

Sam

If it is what I think it is, I've got one hooked up to my 1A2 system but I don't use the system too often...small black box about 2 by 4 inches with a set of screw terminals?

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
OP Offline
Hi Jeff,

Yeah, and it also has three places on top to screw it into the bracket. Had a very short cord with a plug that had an outlet on the back so that the KSU powersupply would plug into that. Neat design that looks like it could last several hundred years.

Joe

I mounted mine outside of the cabinet:
[Linked Image from i35.photobucket.com]
You can sort of see it on the bottom.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
I have a new question: can touch tone and rotary phones (i.e. mix of models 2564 and 564) run on the same 1A2 KSU? If yes, what types of cards or what modifications must be made to the KSU? Thanks.

Mark
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024