web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#488221 09/13/11 11:03 AM
OP Offline
Hi,

I am seeking (once again) the collective wisdom of the PTSF (Phone Tech Support Forum). What sort of KSU set up would have been used in a rather large 1A2 setup with at least one call director and numerous six button keysets? What sort of other station instruments would have been used in such a setup. I know that I am not giving many specifics, and am not asking for any specific information, just generalities. This might be somewhere between a small PBX system and a six line 1A2 keysystem. I am interested in features such as "eye-hold" and direct connects (hotlines). Just curious...

Oh, I just thought of one other question before I hit the add new topic button... Would it have been possible or contemplatable to have a keysystem such as I am describing with one or more lines going to a manual PBX?

Thank you much!

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#488222 09/13/11 12:21 PM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Off the top of my head (Hmmmm, dusty up there) 501 or 512 ITT KSU with more power, Plant equipment 400 cards, other Plant equipment cards and some 'sweaty' wiring for the extra features.

Sure, the manual PBX line(s) would appear to be C.O. line(s).

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#488223 09/13/11 01:43 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Joe, believe it or not, those installations were quite typical. We have a fairly large law firm that is a customer with a similar arrangement.

Prior to about 1976, the norm was 23" racks with multiple 584 panels (13 line card slots each). The panels eventually were modified to permit a single interrupter to operate lamps in other panels, resulting in synchronized lamp flash/wink rates, along with ringing cadence.

At the bottom of these racks, the power supply and ring generator resided. In particularly large installations, there were multiple power supplies.

Around 1975, Western Electric developed the 620 series of modular wall-mounted panels. Each 620A panel had eight line card slots and a Burndy connector that plugged into modular power supplies. There were two power supplies available, one with four power output connectors and the other with ten. These power supplies were unique in the fact that they included the interrupter and ring generator.

These panels were designed to align with the Bell System standard for backboard layouts. They literally took the place of the red field of KSU blocks. The footprint is equivalent to that of a typical half backboard. In essence, with appropriate power supplies, these panels could be stacked side-by-side forever. The only limit was wall space. Since they weren't designed for vertical stacking, horizontally was the only way to grow. Still, with integrated 66 blocks in the unit, they were very space-efficient.

640- series panels were also a part of this family. They included an integral yellow 66 block field for optional services, such as intercoms, tie line circuits, paging interfaces, etc.

The system was quite impressive and offered amazing flexibility. The panels were all plastic, so installation was a breeze. They were lightweight and only required a few screws. Even the power supplies had a back plate that was mounted to the wall and then the actual unit itself would hang on keyhole slots. A single screw secured it to the mount.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#488224 09/13/11 03:14 PM
Ed, you mean to tell me this customer has this system (and uses it) STILL? Wow!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#488225 09/13/11 04:04 PM
Yes, Jeff. Let's just say that this lawyer is very "thrifty". He's sure gotten his money's worth.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#488226 09/14/11 01:23 AM
It's amazing how long the stuff that was designed to work can stay in use!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#488227 09/14/11 01:57 AM
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
stuff that was designed to be installed , left alone and collect a monthly rental /maintenance fee for that is

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
#488228 09/14/11 05:02 AM
Yeah, that!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#488229 09/14/11 09:28 AM
OP Offline
So would a group of 584 card cages mounted in a panel be a good basis for a large 1A2 system? Could one incorporate non-card based KTUs, and things like individual relays, amplifiers, lamp extenders, intercom and such into such a system? Believe it or not, I do have a 23 inch wide 2 legged steel telco rack in the garage, however, at the moment, I have enough to do with my little system and the phones and switchboard that I am restoring. This thought exercise might become reality in the future, but not now as I have too much to do. I would love to see some pictures of actual installations of such a system if any are around. I google image searched, and didn't find much.

The main reason that I am thinking about this is that it seems a bit strange to me to try to incorporate a call director with that huge 75 pair cord into a tiny little shoebox(Italicized for Aruthur. I now know the difference between a shoebox and a lunchbox! laugh ) KSU that I have. My wife thinks that I am screwy enough as it is with rotary keysets in every room of the house.

My "phonebarn" project has been put on hold as my father-in-law had a terrible fall and suffered really bad head trauma. He will be in the hospital for at least six more weeks, then several months in rehab. The doctors told my mother in law that they can no longer live by themselves, so we are fixing up the lower level of our house for them, including a chair lift so that they do not have to worry about the stairs. It is not a basement, we have a split level that is completely finished. We are having a contractor re-model the lower bathroom to be completely accessable, which means that there will still be a bathtub, but it will be a "walk-in" type of thing. No slipping or falling required. My wife and I are both adamant that they will NOT be shoveled off into a nursing home and forgotten. Hopefully, the phone barn will be built next year, but without a doubt, family must come before hobbies. That said, I am thinking (dreaming) ahead of that to figure out what I will put in it for a working display.

Best,

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
#488230 09/14/11 12:37 PM
Joe, sorry to hear about your folks, but it seems like you have the right attitude concerning their care. You and your wife are to be commended for taking on this task.

The 75 pair (actually fewer pairs than that, but that's a subject for another thread) cables from Call Directors would definitely NOT be terminated in a shoebox, for several reasons. First, just from a practical matter, the 551 KSU only can supply up to 4 CO lines, and no dial selective intercom. Trying to jam a 75-pair cable into a 551 is trying to get 10 pounds of s**t into a 5 pound bag, as my Grandmother used to say.

Any installation requiring even one 18-button CD would need a much larger KSU driving it.

Secondly, all station cables are supposed to be terminated (we call it "headed up") on 66M-50 blocks so that cross connections carrying the features (line dial tones, lamps, A-leads, intercom pairs, etc) can easily be assigned to the keys on the sets.

In the case of CD's, you would use three 66M-50 blocks for every two CD's. The blue binder goes on the first block, the orange binder on the second block, and the green binder on the third block, with the blocks arranged vertically in a column.

I have worked on many shoeboxes, and I always used one or more 25-pair cable from the KSU to a 66B-25 block(s), outboard of the KSU, to derive the features and allow a convenient spot on a backboard for cross connections to be assigned. This method allows up to 25 stations (5 short feed cables, times 5 stations per remote block) to be cross-connected without ever needing to open the KSU door, which is always inviting trouble.

Even 4 or 5 station cables (the max is 5) in a 551 can start to cause congestion and maintenance problems. It's always a good idea to spread out and take as much real estate on a backboard as possible.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024