web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
It's hard to believe that even into the 21st Century that there were still communities with no telephone service in the United States. Here's a story from a UK publication about it. I particularly like the closing paragraphs of the story:

TAKE A LOOK HERE.

Here\'s another article from USA Today.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Reads to me like somebody down there is gonna need a .. yep, you guessed it. A 1A2 System.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Interesting find Ed. Bet there are still more out there as well.

The rules in both the US & Canada should have been changed many decades ago forcing the telcos to supply the service at THEIR cost.

As well they should have been banned from charging "milage" to all rural clients. Bell was forced to stop that maybe 10 years or so up here.

So what does Bell do in response? Create new "Price Zones". Leave it to the Big Boys to find a way to screw the public every time.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
That's what the universal service charge on your phone bill is suppose to be used for.

Here\'s AT&T\'s explaination of the charge

The reason I bring this up is I read an article not long ago that stated the USF (universal service fund) was over funded and no longer really needed for land line service and they are giving funding for cell service in rural areas, which cell users don't pay into the fund. So that makes the article Ed linked to even more interesting.

More info on what it\'s used for

Retired phone dude
KLD Offline
.....or this article on the back page of the local newspaper on Thursday, Oct 16, 2008.

WOODSTOCK, Maine(AP) -

The western Maine town where America's last
hand-cranked phones were used now has a
reminder of its place in history: a 14-foot statue of one of the antique phones.
Despite rainy conditions, a crowd turned out Monday for the dedication of the statue in
Woodstock. That also marked the 25th
anniversary of the last call made by a hand-cranked phone belonging to the Bryant Pond Telephone Co. in October 1983. The company was later acquired by the Oxford County Telephone &
Telegraph Co. The 1 1/2-ton, black steel statue was sculpted by Gil Whitman of Woodstock, a cousin of former Bryant Pond phone
company owner Elden Hathaway. The sculpture's
crank works, and Whitman plans to install a
bell that will sound when the crank is turned.

Crank phone statue dedicated in Maine

Just a bit off topic but in reverse... laugh

Ken
---------
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Ken, do you have a copy of the multicolored map of serving ILECS in KS. As I recall, areas of the extreme NW part of the state were black, for no service. Of course, up in that area, the most of the servee's would speak with chirps, squawks, and other non-human noises. Not much up there anyway. But, there are other states that are probably worse off. Wyoming, Oregon, and the Dakotas come to mind. John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
I had come over here to start a post on the link to the below story… This seemed to be closely related to this topic.

Related story

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
dave,
didnt they still have operators in PEI into the late 70s, i have a contempra (with the northern telecom stamp not northern electric) with a vinyl pad where the keypad would have gone. i was told it came off PEI

Jay, a recovering IT guy
Jay, we had "Operators" here in Quebec until the late nineties. Still a few, I'm sure as they can't "Farm Out" the French required here to India. Then again, the India personanel can't talk English either laugh

The phone you have was probablu used as a "Taxi" phone in a grocery store or the like. Just needed "Ring down" to work....no dialing.

Northern Telecom was the 1st name change from Nortern Electric; then later again to Nortel.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
im a phone collector i know the history of nortel smile

i mean old operator/ party line exchanges when i talk about operators, my neighbor confirmed he didnt have a dial on his phone on the island till 1982

Jay, a recovering IT guy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024