web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
ajkula66, I was in the 70 strike and that lasted 7 months. Believe me you'll make it. If I remember correctly the same thing happened then. My wife and I had just moved into our first house with a young baby. I ended up working two jobs of course we never make up what was lost but we made it. One thing to remember there is life after Ma Bell. I'm not pro company but I remember being told way back when that a contract is like a pie you can only cut it up in certain ways but thats all you get whats in the pie . Just my two cents. Good luck to you guys I wish you well.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Originally posted by bf6b5yr:
What puzzles me is that I have yet to see a Verizon vehicle on the street. I haven’t noticed any communication contractor’s vehicles in the area. I don’t know what they’re doing for people. The local management ranks have been cut to the bone. In past contracts letters were sent to retirees asking if they were available if a strike happened. Some of these folks actually did work. I’ve asked a number of my friends and no one received such a letter. I didn’t get one. Maybe it’s because we declined the offer in the past.
No, I think that's all on purpose. I believe that inconveniencing the customer as much as possible and cutting customer service to near zero is part of Verizon's strategy to garner the publics sympathy. "Look what they are doing to you."

On a side note, I notice that I can't connect to a number of websites tonight. Wonder what's going on now.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
@hbiss:

My opinion is that VZ will do their best to keep (mostly large) businesses running and that it's the residential customer (that they want to get rid off in the first place) who will unfortunately take the brunt of the strike. We shall see...

@Thornhill:

I know I'll make it. Heck, I've made it through some pretty scary stuff I'd rather not touch on this (or any other public) forum...
Thanks for the well-wishes.

"...Time moves slowly and it goes so fast..."

(Sandy Denny)
We really don't know the guts of what the strike is over. People that only see what the news says
moaning about the evil union people and the evil Corp. Just like the BP oil spill. The ocean is going to hell, the world will die etc,etc,etc.
And just like GM (where no union employee made the decision to make ugly cars in 70's and 80's- where Roger Smith presided over market share going from 76% to 30% with huge bonuses each year- nor did union employees decide to put chevy and olds engines in Cadillac or put Cadillac name on a Chevy Cavalier etc,etc,etc ad nausea.

I don't think Verizon union employes made the decisions that culminate in the above bad service.

Some other Bozo's did that.

Off the top of my head...and there's more:

1) Freezing the pensions as of 12/31/2011
2) Eliminating the "death benefit"
3) Eliminating double time pay for work performed on Sundays.

4) Eliminating double time pay for every hour worked past 49 hours in one week.

5) Eliminating shift differential.

6) Eliminating disability benefits for on-the-job accidents

7) Eliminating overtime cap for forced overtime (currently 20h/week)

8) Removing the clauses prohibiting contractors doing the work on Verizon facilities

9) Removing the "job security" clause (which calls for several steps that Verizon must follow before laying anyone off)

10) Removing "two man" and "high-crime area" job descriptions ( such as working on roofs and/or Harlem, where one is currently not allowed to work by themselves).

11) Change in current policies regarding sick days (with my 11 years I'd get 2 sick days a year)

12) Participation in costs of health care (about $7K a year)

13) Eliminating two holidays (MLK and Veteran's Day)

14) Removing the clause which provides that an employee can be permanently transferred only within 35 miles from the original reporting location.

15) Eliminating the tuition assistance program.

Thanks to everyone who expressed their support. It really means a lot.

"...Time moves slowly and it goes so fast..."

(Sandy Denny)
The problem is right now....The economy is bad and they have the workers over a barrel. They know there are people that would die for a job qualified or not. Verizon would like to dump or sell off the residental service anyway...JMO

In Australia in the 90's, Telstra (the equivalent to VZ) spun off their Technician's into a new unit called NDC (network design & Construction) then further distanced itself and eventually sold most of it off.

Avalon Services
New Jersey Voip Telephone systems voice & Data Cabling
www.avalonphones.com
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
There is a big ad in the paper today ... it says the company is asking for the employees to contribute towards their health insurance costs... that seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I had two more customers leave Verizon and sign up for phone service from the cable company yesterday.

Both sides of Verizon are making a big mistake this time!

whynot Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by upstateny:
There is a big ad in the paper today ... it says the company is asking for the employees to contribute towards their health insurance costs... that seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I had two more customers leave Verizon and sign up for phone service from the cable company yesterday.

Both sides of Verizon are making a big mistake this time!
If this were the case we would all be at work right now. Everyone that I work with has no problem, and fully expects to, have to pay into their health insurance. Trouble is this "minor" adjustment could end up costing each employee up to
$6000, with the total amount of "minor" adjustments somewhere around $20,000.

Are both sides making a mistake? You betcha! I'm disgusted at both sides of this, but all I can do is ask you not to drink the company kook-aid, just as I don't drink the union's. Someone is blantenly lying...

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
I'm not drinking the kool aid by any means ..... in my mind both the company and the union are absolutely nuts to be doing this right now..... i think both the company and the union bigwigs are getting what they deserve... it's the poor technicians who are getting screwed and i feel horrible for them.

Verizon Wireless is doing well ... the landline side is not.. and is going to continue to lose business... times have changed and the reality is that the profit margin has shrunk dramtically in the face of all of the competition from the CLEC's and cable companies.

Both sides should be doing ANYTHING they can to try and keep their customers .... certainly not going on strike .... both sides need to remember that there is now a legitimate alternative and people are not going to put up with the Verizon BS any more.

I talked to the Time Warner sales guy yesterday and he said every one of their reps is swamped with calls and they are closing deals as fast as they can see the people.

And... i have heard of several trouble tickets where customers were given a repair date 30 days out ... really??

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024