Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#524276 10/18/08 02:33 AM
OP Offline
One of my 2565's has the word "Operator" encircling the 0. All the rest have "OPER" just above it. Is it likely that someone swapped out the touchpad at some point, or were there certain years when this was done? The keyset is a 2565HK, dated 5/71, and is fully modular.

Thanks
Matt

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#524277 10/18/08 03:05 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
There is/was another differentiation among dial pads. Pads that had the alphbet were called 'METRO' dial pads, and I have no idea what the ones that didn't were called. Standard? Rural?
I'll bet Ed knows! smile John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#524278 10/18/08 09:32 AM
Not to interrupt the hijacking, Matt, but the answer is convoluted.

The first pads had the word OPERATOR. Next, it was changed to OPER for no apparent reason, other than WE lunacy.

Canadian pads have no word there, because the Canadian requirement for bi-lingual labelling would mean that both the words OPERATOR and TELEPHONIST would be required. So, no word is easier than both words.

WE (and clone) 7- and 9-type rotary dials also originally had OPERATOR and later had OPER. Real early ones had the OPERATOR under the zero, and later ones had the word over the zero.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#524279 10/18/08 10:43 AM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Originally posted by Arthur P. Bloom:
...Canadian pads have no word there, because the Canadian requirement for bi-lingual labelling would mean that both the words OPERATOR and TELEPHONIST would be required. So, no word is easier than both words....
Sorry, but I beg to differ on that point. I believe that there is no such requirement for telephone equipment. Even now, one can buy a telephone that is totally in English.

That IS 1 reason why I sell & maintain Nortel equipment as the Norstar line has bilingual prompts and French buttons available for the phones. Other manufacturers do not.

As well, just prior to my leaving Bell in '96, while at a union meeting there was one %#&*@ that stood up and wanted the union to pressure Bell to pressure Nortel to make the CO tech manuals in French. Even at THAT time things weren't near as bad as now.

The bilingual requirement that you refer to would be for food products and the such, which is a Canadian law. Bell Canada as well as Nortel have Federal charters and do not have to abide by most of Quebec's language law, or any other law for that matter, if they choose not to.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
#524280 10/18/08 01:24 PM
I've got an old 302 sitting next to me and it says operator on the dial...

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#524281 10/18/08 01:40 PM
OP Offline
The first pads had the word OPERATOR. Next, it was changed to OPER for no apparent reason, other than WE lunacy.
Then, that must mean this phone was rebuilt at some point, yes? I don't know what year modular phones came out, but I'd thought it was well after '71, and that the prototypes started with the trimline.

Would it be a true statement if I said it's basicaly a strange hybrid of a pre '71 touchhpad, '71 guts (probably), and a post '71 case and receiver?

#524282 10/18/08 02:03 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Matt:

WECO abandoned "Operator" in favor of "OPER" around 1973. This was also the same time when they were developing modular connections. The first modular hardware that I encountered was in mid 1974 in NJ Bell territory.

Yes, if you have the old-style dial with modular connections, then the set was refurbished at some point. Remember that their refurbishing consisted of huge operations, where all of the parts were taken apart in one area, tested in another, then reassembled with new plastics. It was not uncommon to see several different date codes within one set due to the recirculation of parts. In general, the painted "new" date code or adhesive label on the bottom of the set determined when it was last refurbished. There was not a lot of re-dating individual components unless they received a factory modification during the refurbishing process.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#524283 10/18/08 02:53 PM
Sorry, but I beg to differ on that point. I believe that there is no such requirement for telephone equipment. Even now, one can buy a telephone that is totally in English
Can you explain why there is no "word" on the zero button on NT phones from the 1970's?

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#524284 10/18/08 02:56 PM
OP Offline
Thanks All!

#524285 10/19/08 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Arthur P. Bloom:
[QUOTE] ...Can you explain why there is no "word" on the zero button on NT phones from the 1970's?
Arthur, let me take a guess at it as I didn't work for Nortel.

I did however work for Bell and was lucky enough to have several French Canadians work with me. As in any group of people there would be "zingers" back & forth.

One day, one of them asked me why on light switches the words were "On" & "Off". He went on to say that it wasn't in French as they "Knew" when the light was on. laugh

From that analogy, I'd have to say that Nortel figured that Canadians knew that "0" would get you the operator. :shrug:

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Touch Tone Tommy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,283
Posts638,765
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,446 Shoretel
188,303 CTX100 install
187,081 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, dans), 188 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024