web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#549885 04/15/13 04:42 PM
Thesavo Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all. I have a question about moving or swapping a Superset Extension with a "Station" extension.

Gratuitous background: We currently have do not have a PBX service provider, and are moving to a hosted PBX in the near future. My company wishes to have me perform MAC operations until we migrate. I have "Computer guy" experience with Inter-Tel AXXESS systems.
The previous system maintainer, another IT Rep, has provided me an export from the PBX. It seems that they had only ever used the web interface to make changes.

We have a new employee starting in a few weeks and we need to place a SuperSet 420 or 4025 at their desk with an available DID. From the system export it seams that the only remaining extensions with DIDs have a Device Type as Station. We have a few available extensions that have a Device Type as SuperSet 420.

I ran a cross-connect from the desk jack to the PLID of the Superset extension. I understand that Inter-Tel systems can't directly swap an Analog extension with a Digital extension. Does the same hold true with Mitel SX2000's? I heard from someone that Mitel's have Hybrid ports that will allow you to plugin a Digital or analog phone on the same port. This sounds a little far fetched.

Is it possible to switch the device type in the web utility?

Thank you for any clarification you can provide.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Well, first, no offense but you're way over your head.

If you have a station PLID, the only way to change it to a superset PLID is to swap a card, which will affect 16 PLIDs. No, there are not hybrid ports in Mitel. Hybrid ports take a four-wire phone.

DIDs are not married to ports, and can be re-assigned.

If you're not going to make a pig's breakfast out of the switch by the time your hosted solution takes over (which is a solution that I personally would recommend against, but you're the customer), I recommend that you either FIND a service company, or that you obtain appropriate training.

Thesavo Offline OP
OP Offline
Unfortunately, my employer only plans to keep the system running for another 2 months or so until their hosted solution takes over.

It's really to bad as I have been taking time to document the desk jacks to where they land on the cross-connect. It just seems random where the analog phones landed in relation to the digital phones did.

Don't throw away your old system. Hosted systems are a joke and, if you think MAC is tedious on the Mitel, just wait for the mess that hosted systems bring.

That said, the only way to get a digital set to work on a Mitel is to find a vacant digital port. There are no "combination" ports. The other solution, of course, is to replace the ONS card with a DLC. The slots for stations are universal, but the cards are not.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Thesavo Offline OP
OP Offline
I wish I had a choice in the matter. Thankfully we are not throwing it away as far I know. We are going to leave the Mitel equipment in place.

They are bringing in new IP switch and use the secondary network jacks for the new IP phones.

As far as the extension swap. Can an analog extension number that has a DID (x3303) be swapped with a digital phone (x4404)?
I basically want the voice mail, name and directory info to move to the digital phone. I already ran a cross-connect wire from the desk jack to an available digital port. The phone is live, but incoming calls have to use the main phone number, then enter the extension. We like to match the DIDs and extension numbers for simplicity.

I know with inter-tels can only swap 'like' devices. Does the SX-2000 have this same limitation?

The DID is not an issue. You can associate any DID with any type of extension. Your voice mail, however, may be a problem. If it is a stand alone voice mail, then the voice mail messages will move to the new type set in tact.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
You can assign the DID to the digital extension, or you can change the extension numbers. Make the analog set a random ext. number, then make the digital set the ext. number that used to be the analog, then make the analog the ext. number that used to be the digital.

Voicemail and DID should follow the extension number unless the original programmer did something tricky.

Thesavo Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks telephoneguy. I thought it might work that way. Thanks for the confirmation that it should work that way.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,256
Posts638,657
Members49,756
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
210,763 Shoretel
187,580 CTX100 install
186,326 1a2 system
Newest Members
Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset, Housetech
49,756 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 16
Toner 12
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (pvj, nortelvoip), 93 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024