Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
94astro Offline OP
OP Offline

Story Here

Edited to fix link

Last edited by metelcom; 07/19/13 07:22 AM.

Aaron
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
The link doesn't work

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Good article, thanks for sharing.

In this case, it looks like they're not targeting VoIP systems, but are using VoIP systems to annoy their victims.

I really don't know how you can prevent this. Since it is easy to change outbound DID on most VoIP platforms, you couldn't block a certain CID, at least if the perpetrator is clever.

Actually your title is a bit misleading, It isn't targetting VoIP systems. They are using the anominity of VoIP to target any system.

If one could spoof enough numbers,had the bandwidth,and a dialer program, they could DoS virtually anyone. with a phone number.

Got a couple of POTS lines, make enough calls to busy out all the lines, got a PRI, all you need is 23 calls. The bigger the system the bigger attack but with the right software anything is possible.

What is scary is the fact that the initial caller addressed her by name.

I had a City actually experience this, I don't think it was a purposeful DoS but rather and inadvertant DoS from a robodialer getting caught up in the Auto Attendant.

[Linked Image from i26.servimg.com]
TouchPoint Networks.

Serving the Northwest Since 1991
NEC Shoretel Zultys T3 Tadiran
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I just encountered this yesterday with a customer that is a hospital. They were complaining of slow dial tone and incomplete calls. I looked at the system's activity log remotely and saw that all of their PRI trunks (46) were tied up, though most just said that there was a misc. tone on them.

I went to watch an on-the-fly SMDR stream and saw that there were about seven numbers from all over the country that were repeatedly dialing into three vacant DID numbers on our switch. Calls were coming in literally dozens at a time.

The customer tried getting Verizon to block the calls, but they weren't really interested in helping. They then added these numbers to the do not call registry. Lo and behold, the calls have now stopped and the system is functioning normally. I'm not sure if Verizon ended up doing something, the DNC registry worked or these people just got tired and found someone else to screw with.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,835
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,643 Shoretel
189,528 CTX100 install
187,783 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 148 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024