web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#558563 09/25/13 11:36 PM
OP Offline
Hi all! I am a tech who does not have any experience with ESI systems so I respectfully ask for some guidance. bowdown I am trying to assist this customer as the line provider and tech seem to be blaming each other so I am mediating.This customer has an IVX E class with digital lines coming from their cable co. The hackers apparently have been dialing in the system and then calling overseas numbers causing cost and alarms with their provider.The line provider has finally blocked outgoing international calls from this customer but is still requesting more to be done on the pbx side as attempts have not slowed. They are calling more than one line. The trunk to trunk and call forward features are off. If I read correctly in the manual, calling international is already blocked? I don't believe any remote maint ports are connected. Unclear as if there is a log to refer to. Maybe additional toll restrictions? Hoping for guidance in the right direction. Thank you very much for the help.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Probably an exploit of the voice message notification and delivery feature. You can lock it out by assigning an unused line group in Function 552. F551 will show any evidence of the hacking, but not when it happened.

Brian Dunne
ETC Telecom
www.etctele.com
OP Offline
I appreciate your input. I will check on it. Thank you bdunne!

In the immortal words of the Asian airline pilot, Sum Ting Wong, I think there is something else at play here. Function 551 is extremely limited as to what can be dialed out by the system. Numbers and routes have to be programmed in 551 and restrictions do apply. Since ESI does not have any function for DISA, I would look at anything else connected to the lines that may be shared with the ESI. If there is no programming in function 551, and there are no trunk to trunk out dials in the AA, then no one can dial out of the ESI.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Check to see if any of the mailboxes have been hacked and outcalling set up.

OP Offline
Thank you gentlemen for the additional possibilities! I hope to get back to this customer tomorrow to check. I will post something as soon as I have something notable to report.

Had this happened to our customer's a few times. They were using the guest mailboxes with notification. Check your open loop interval for disconnects on all co lines. Make sure when the system hangs up a call the line disconnects. Check the analog ports for outdial and lock them down. Call ESI tech support as we informed them of this a few times and I know they had a tech write up about it. Lastly, download PABX soft and install it on a temporary basis to track all of the call patterns. This will show what is up.

OP Offline
thumbsup You guys were right on. I found several mailboxes which had the international numbers in the remote notification settings. I will still check your suggestions breeze as to make sure I am complete though. Still figuring how they did it though so I can secure all avenues. I cant figure how to secure the mailboxes which do not have a physical set attached. Many thnaks again!

SST Offline
Someone would need at least the admin password to enable the MB's to use outside lines. Is the admin password still the default? Even if not; It's time to change the admin and installer passwords.

Moderated by  5years&counting, nonameyet 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 128 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024