web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
mcomm Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a customer who has transmission problems at the distant end of a T1 that has voice and data traffic over it--They have an Avaya IP 500 and three 9608 IP sets--

There is an adtran in the circuit and a fortinet fire wall-then it is connected to a Cisco 208 SG switch to thr IP office--
They are having what they call waterfall noise or swishing sounds and also muffled transmission-

Various times during the day it gets worse--

My thoughts are they should have a Router that provides QoS that will prioritize voice and data --

Any help out there--I am not sure what the Fortinet can do if anyone might be familiar with that--I am going there on Monday and check the IP office settings - The IP is at the distant end 250 miles away and I will only have access to that over a tunnel

wayne
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
I would see if there is a way to put an analog or digital set on the system. Try to isolate if it is a trunks issue or an IP set issue....

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Are you having this problem on all phones or just certain ones?
If all phones, I would definitely check QOS and if still no luck do as Matt ^^^ said and start the eliminating/troubleshooting process.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
mcomm Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by mongo5150
I would see if there is a way to put an analog or digital set on the system. Try to isolate if it is a trunks issue or an IP set issue....

Thanks for the answer Matt. The three sets that having the problem are 9608 lp sets in Boston. The ip 500 unit is located in NY and runs over a T1 that has static ips. They are not having any issues In NY. The 9608s can work without a router that could provide QoS but I believe that this T provides Internet as well as the pipe for these sets, that is what makes me think that they need to add one. Is there any settings in the ip I should be looking for this type of muffling and clipping ?

wayne
QoS by itself will not necessarily cure the problem.
Your voice traffic is fighting with data traffic for bandwidth. The only sure cure is MPLS between the sites.

Andy Ellis
Originally Posted by WireSysPlus
QoS by itself will not necessarily cure the problem.
Your voice traffic is fighting with data traffic for bandwidth. The only sure cure is MPLS between the sites.

Forgot - If the T1 is point to point, QoS may be good enough to work without MPLS.

Andy Ellis

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,835
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,642 Shoretel
189,525 CTX100 install
187,783 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 173 guests, and 353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024