Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#562440 12/08/13 08:27 PM
bpitt Offline OP
OP Offline
When I was a kid, my dad worked for AT&T as a pbx tech. There was a group of 'old' guys that would take old 1A2 Key systems, etc, and kinda refurb them, then take them to places like Africa and South America and install them in poor hospitals as basically whole building intercom systems, if that makes sense. Now fast forward to today. My dad passed last year, I'm a pbx guy now, after having worked at Lucent and Avaya. I'm trying to find out if there are any volunteer opportunities for 'phone guys'? Does anyone know of such things? I don't mind where it's at.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

bpitt #562448 12/09/13 12:09 AM
I'm sure there are millions of "non-profit" and religious organizations right here that are too cheap would love a donated system.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
hbiss #562453 12/09/13 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by hbiss
I'm sure there are millions of "non-profit" and religious organizations right here that are too cheap would love a donated system.

-Hal

Let me start by saying that sometimes Hal's posts tend to sound a little bit like a typical N.Y. attitude but that's usually not the case.

There are many technical schools, high schools, and small start up businesses that can always use the help either hardware-wise or with the turnkey aspect of our discipline. Finding them isn't so easy, try the normal looking places like United Way, local Business Chambers of Commerce, and through the local city halls or local paper.
Some of these companies actually succeed due to the gratuitous help at start up and can payback several fold in the future, plus word of mouth will generate other calls for help.

I find it admirable to try and give back to our society that has help us in many ways. Good Luck !

bpitt #562454 12/09/13 10:25 AM
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
I've donated equipment and labor to local non profit groups . look around Hattiesburg I'm sure you can find a worthy group who would love some refurbed equipment and the expertise to install it and keep it running for them .( you can even get a tax write off from it if your so inclined )

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
bpitt #562460 12/09/13 12:32 PM
bpitt Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, guys...and Hal. I checked at the local public school where my kids go, but they received a lot of stuff from the Gates Foundation, i.e., new computers, wiring, and even a Cisco voip system just after hurricane Katrina. My church has a mission group that goes to Peru, but I was told they don't even have electricity where they've been going, so unless we build a mobile solar array for that, that's out as well. Sometimes a man just feels blessed and wants to give back. I'll keep diggin' around.

bpitt #562462 12/09/13 12:55 PM
You may want to contact Habitat For Humanity.

Last edited by Bob@tcsmn; 12/09/13 12:56 PM.

Bob

With all the variables involved, I am amazed when any voice and data technology works like it is supposed to.
Bpitt:

Volunteering is a dying concept. You are to be commended for trying to help others. I have been volunteering in emergency services for over 40 years. Along the way, various organizations that I've been involved with have needed electrical or com work, and I've helped them.

Toshiba Bob: What's "a typical N.Y. attitude" by the way?

Arthur in New York

Volunteering is a dying concept

Its alive and well in these parts, I'm involved with a group that has 90 volunteers and turns some away every year. Another group I volunteer for has around 2500 with a 100+ volunteering every week and a full time volunteer coordinator . Other groups I know off also have volunteer positions fill quickly .

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
bpitt #562474 12/09/13 04:42 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I second Habitat for Humanity. In addition to the feel-good aspect of it, I've learned a lot working along side professionals who also volunteer. Tricks of the trade, like molding cutting tips etc. make it a win-win scenario.

Our local chapter doesn't have a lot of regular projects going, so we don't get to do a whole lot. I will say that on our last project, I was a bit disappointed. A utility company became a major contributor and the project turned into a showcase house featuring high-end equipment and products; comparable to home improvement shows that are funded by manufacturers. These homes were supposed to be very basic for the owners to receive something that is affordable, both to purchase and maintain. When they started allowing contributors to take it over the top with high-end products, we were pretty much left digging holes and painting.

Regardless, it is still rewarding.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
bpitt #562476 12/09/13 05:03 PM
What's "a typical N.Y. attitude" by the way?

It's realizing that many organizations with their hands out aren't what they would like you to believe. From the Catholic and other churches to the Red Cross to many non-profits. Most can well afford to pay the going rate. We have churches here in poor areas that are supported with money donated by their poor congregations. These churches are monuments to excess with imported marble and pastors with residences in the tropics. How much of your donated money does the Red Cross actually spend on their causes? Remember that a non-profit means no money left after all salaries and expenses have been paid.

Donating is like winning the lottery. Everybody you run into has a sob story.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,285
Posts638,781
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,759 Shoretel
188,956 CTX100 install
187,197 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, oobie), 112 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024