web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
surdel Offline OP
OP Offline
short of using a drone smile have you not been permited by the GC to not walk on a sheet rock drop celing and used something like a rc car to pull the cable over to the hole?

I am thinking of a celing is supported enough, it should support the weight of a person but in some cases, perhaps may not.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Push/pull rods from Music Supply company work wonders across hard ceilings both in offices and on ships. I have used them for almost 30 years.

Push Pull Insulated Rods.

Last edited by Derrick; 07/14/14 06:01 PM.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
I think a RC car would have problems jumping over the supports and over or under the other junk up there. I have never seen a ceiling with a clear shot unless it was a short distance. As Derrick says, there are many companies that make fiberglass push/pull rods and they will handle just about any obstacle if you are good enough at manipulating them.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by hbiss
I think a RC car would have problems jumping over the supports and over or under the other junk up there. I have never seen a ceiling with a clear shot unless it was a short distance. As Derrick says, there are many companies that make fiberglass push/pull rods and they will handle just about any obstacle if you are good enough at manipulating them.

-Hal

The rods I use for most jobs are plastic coated aluminum.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Years ago, I worked with a kind of quirky guy that decided he could train a ferret to pull cable. So, he fashioned a harness that would allow the ferret to haul a cable through a ceiling or any concealed space without impeding the ferret's progress.

The first time he tried it, the ferret pulled the cable over an 80' plastered ceiling and scampered out the access hole at the other end. What a success! The next try was an even larger expanse with side hall ways that the ferret could easily divert and get the cable in the wrong direction. A can of open cat food at the opening where the cable was to exit produced a very eager ferret and a newly pulled cable.

Well, this looked like the answer to every miserable cable pull. So, one day, we were at an assisted care facility. The cable pull was about 300' down corridors and around the wall to a wire termination room. This worked well for the first three pulls. On the fourth pull, the speed of the ferret drastically decreased. Thinking the cable may have gotten pinched somewhere, my co-worker pulled a little, went to the exit hole and opened a second can of cat food, went back and pulled a little more. The progress stopped entirely. No more cable and no ferret. We looked, called and even opened a hole about half way between by taking down an air vent grill. Still no ferret and, amazingly, no cable either. We figured the ferret had pulled about 220', so the cable should have been past the half way point.

We gave up. Couldn't find the ferret, couldn't find the cable. So, I decided to go to the truck and get the pushing rods. There, on top of the truck was the ferret and about 100' of cable wound around the doors on both sides. The ferret didn't like me, so I went to get my co-worker. We both came to the truck, the ferret had chewed off the cable and was gone. It turns out, ferrets like a variety in their diet and if you constantly try and lure them with the same thing, they get angry and either look for their hole where they sleep or they just run away and find something more to their taste.

I can say, with experience, don't use a ferret!

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
I know your talking about a hard ceiling here, but this same question is always coming up for drop ceilings too.

The problem is you are required by code to support the cable runs, especially when dealing with drop ceilings.

There are dozens of ways to run cable across a ceiling, but I have yet to see one that also installs the required supports.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
The BELL system used Ferrets in the early part of the 20th century. It was in the TOPS manuals.

Last edited by brokeda; 07/15/14 01:15 AM.
Rcaman, I've heard a similar story from a lady who told about her younger years in an office. They required another cable in a conduit, and for whatever reason, couldn't get a fish tape through. A ferret saved the day for them, too.

I know a fellow (not me!) that had to run cable across a new shopping mall store. Very long run. He walked over to radio shack, bought a remote control jeep, with big tires. The big tires worked well going over the support grid.

Jim

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally Posted by surdel
short of using a drone smile have you not been permited by the GC to not walk on a sheet rock drop celing and used something like a rc car to pull the cable over to the hole?

I am thinking of a celing is supported enough, it should support the weight of a person but in some cases, perhaps may not.

I can't imagine any drop ceiling holding the weight of a person?? Has anyone ever done it??

Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
I did some work for the NH dept of corruption..er corrections, pulling icom and control wiring in the laundry room. A miserable place to pull cables. 110 degrees, next to no ventilation, actually pity the inmates that had to work in that environment while their civilian boss sat in an air conditioned office. Anyway, The ceilings were a hard plaster, almost concrete, on metal lath supported on wires from the concrete structure. The only way in there was to remove the 12x48" fluorescent light fixtures and squeeze through the hole. To my surprise that dropped ceiling held 3 of us at the same time. Good thing, because I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,701 CTX100 install
186,789 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 105 guests, and 128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024