web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cepega Offline OP
OP Offline
I've been tasked at my job to find an intercom/paging system as it is being a requirement that now any and all of the education facility must be equiped with one.
I would like to explore a few options such as implementation with current phone system (s) Merilin and/or Cisco systems as well as a stand alone system, which for some reason I think might be an easy solution.
I've found Bogen 25 and 75 station systems which I believe will fit our need, but these are only main consoles and the rest of the equipment must be purchased as well which includes speakers, amplifiers if need be, obviously cabling, and the switches for locations where the need would be to contact DON's office which would be mostly classrooms.

https://www.bogen-paging.com/products/school-paging-intercom-systems/school-intercoms.aspx

Does anyone have recomendations for brands or type of systems to implement for a small/medium sized privately owned higher education facility?

Thanks

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I'd contact one of the local sound companies that supplies Rauland, Dukane, Telecor etc.
Let me know if you need a recommendation. This is not a do it yourself job IMHO.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Cepega Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Jeff,

I have the Bogen rep coming out Friday to take a gander at what needs to be done. I am sure that the owners would like to get several quotes for the system, as well as different solutions available.
I kind of like the idea of being able to use the phone system for this, but then I am not sure how it would be setup in a classroom for example it should not be a phone, but a speaker type of setup, how would that be connected?
We have two phone systems here, one of them is Cisco for which I am sure "there is a license for that" Rulez

You need to check into the new Life and Safety Code requirements for Mass Notification Systems in an educational location.

It is now required that the fire alarm system have the ability to broadcast pre recorded messages. You can use a paging/intercom system for this purpose so long as it meets all of the requirements.

This is definitely no a job if you don;t know about all of the various requirements. The days of just having a paging/intercom system in an educational location are long gone.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
To that end, you may also want to consider IED
https://www.iedaudio.com/

Cepega Offline OP
OP Offline
I believe that they were approached to this from point of view the possible shooter being on premises and having the ability to notify everyone of a lockout procedures. I will need to double check how extensive this should be.

Cepega Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Mercenary Roadie
You need to check into the new Life and Safety Code requirements for Mass Notification Systems in an educational location.

It is now required that the fire alarm system have the ability to broadcast pre recorded messages. You can use a paging/intercom system for this purpose so long as it meets all of the requirements.

This is definitely no a job if you don;t know about all of the various requirements. The days of just having a paging/intercom system in an educational location are long gone.

The fire alarm system is a separate stand alone set of 3 panels, one of which is housing battery and a phone module that connect to 2 phone lines in server room, the same two lines that were punched in a lousy manner pictures of which were posted in ugly work post in cabling section of the forum.

Where would be a good place to obtain the info on Life and Safety Code requirements for Mass Notification Systems in an educational location.? A local city fire department, police or city hall?

Thanks

I will say that overhead paging from our Cisco system was accomplished very simply. The same gateway that handles our PRI has an FXO/FXS card that connects to our existing paging system.

As far as codes go, you could start with NFPA 72, the National Fire Alarm & Signaling code.
Your local AHJ will probably have their own requirements as well.

Last edited by jeffmoss26; 07/31/14 11:42 AM.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I installed a very large IED system at JFK International Airport (American Airlines). They manufacture a quality product, have excellent support and overall provide a real good system.

Sam

****what tim10 said above. Quote didn't come up for some reason....

Last edited by Silversam; 07/31/14 11:46 AM.

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Originally Posted by Cepega
Where would be a good place to obtain the info on Life and Safety Code requirements for Mass Notification Systems in an educational location.? A local city fire department, police or city hall?

Thanks

Life & safety information is found in NFPA 101: Life Safety Code and/or your local building department.

NFPA 72: National Fire Alarm and Signal Code tells you how to install what is require to meet the Life & Safety requirements.

Your first step is to talk to whoever has jurisdiction over the facility you are at. That's normally the building department.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,113 Shoretel
187,718 CTX100 install
186,811 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Touch Tone Tommy), 72 guests, and 425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024