Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
pctutor Offline OP
OP Offline
This post will probably be longer than it needs to be, sorry..

My company has asked me to source a new phone system for them, and while I spent several years in telecom years back, it's been a while and I could use some advice. I appreciate any help that is offered.

The office is a small one, with 1 receptionist station and 4 desk stations. Currently we are using a pretty basic AT&T set of phones with a wired receptionist station feeding 4 cordless ones. Pretty minimal features and several problems. The biggest issues are no music on hold and since they are all just extensions, current calls can and do get interrupted by new outgoing call attempts from other stations.

This is what we are looking for:

- 2+ lines (just 2 lines now, but growth is good)
- 5 stations, including receptionist
- Music on hold input (not some vendor pre-selected list of music)
- Corded stations
- No more crossing lines - when I am on line 1, no one else should be able to select that line for a new call.
- Auto attendant (Optional)
- Voice mail for each user (optional).

The corded solution means I will be putting in new drop, so at that point it doesn't matter to me whether it's cat 5e or rj45. We WILL NOT be using a VoIP solution. I'm looking at the AT&T SYN248, which seems to have most of what I'm looking for at a fairly reasonable price. Is it a turd? Is there a better option?

I am a computer and small network tech, with some telco experience, so I'm not afraid of doing this myself. And, since we are in a pretty rural area, with zero installers within 2 hours, that is what will be happening. Again, I appreciate any advice and sorry for the verbose post.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
The AT&T system you mention is indeed a turd.

Check what vendors are in your area and have them give you quotes and then make your selection based on the vendor first and system second.

Your needs are very basic and any system you buy will exceed them.

Avaya Partner.

Tennessee Technology Solutions, LLC | "Business technology solutions reimagined." | (423) 665-9995 | www.423tech.com
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally Posted by telecom guy10
Avaya Partner.

Partner would be a good system .... just beware that it is not a current offering.

I should point out that I don't have any professional certifications and that I'm a collector. Frankly, if you can set up and confidently use a smartphone, you are qualified to program a Partner system.

Tennessee Technology Solutions, LLC | "Business technology solutions reimagined." | (423) 665-9995 | www.423tech.com
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
The Partner ACS would be a good choice with the understanding that any hardware purchased will be used/refurbished. Prices have stabilized after a period of eye popping spikes.

While the system is...relatively easy to figure out...it is highly recommended that you download a copy of the "Installation, Programming and Use Guide" and familiarize with how the system is programmed.

I Love FEATURE 00
^and Paul hit on another reason why I highly recommend the Partner.

Availability of documentation.

Avaya Support is excellent, and their website, https://support.avaya.com/ is a great resource that allows you to freely search and download technical, installation, and specification manuals and even end user guides for pretty much everything they make.

Admin
Admin
The TransTel Lynx Would work well for you but you would need to add expander card to have the 5th digital station. There is also the Lynx II which handles 8 digital phones but no analog ports.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
pctutor Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow! You all have been more than helpful. Thanks! Our owner has a thing against used and/or refurbished hardware, so the Partner is out - though I do have experience with it and like it myself. I'm liking the looks of the Transtel Lynx II. I'm still doing my due diligence and research, but does anyone know about how this system is to install and maintain?

Take a look at the ESI 50 Light. It's relatively inexpensive and very easy to use. It has built-in voice mail with auto attendant, dial-by-name directory, mailboxes for all users etc... The 30d phones are the least expensive, but I would consider getting the 48-key phones. We put these in, train the client, give them a user cheat sheet and an admin cheat sheet and they never call us with questions on how to use the system.

Aaron
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,875
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,744 Shoretel
189,817 CTX100 install
187,945 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 21
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 6
Who's Online Now
1 members (nortelvoip), 154 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024