web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#591806 08/05/15 06:15 PM
Leo2015 Offline OP
OP Offline
My Equipment:
NEC Electra Elite & IPKII Standard Voice Mail

Hello,

I have an issue that I do not know how to resolve. Apparently, it also could not be originating from my network system?

The Issue:
I am experiencing random calls directed at 911 that the authorities have traced to a number at our location. The events are occurring frequently - but not daily. The last issue to place on Monday at 9:45am in the morning. There was no one present within the department where the line was traced. Therefore, I am certain that no one on the property placed the call. The prior event took place a week before with multiple calls being made again to 911. However, those calls occurred at approximately 1:00am (no one was present on the property).

My question is; how do I pursue a resolution to this issue? I contacted my carrier (PaeTec) and they told me that the calls are not originating from my network? However, I cannot have the Authorities showing up frequently with the same issue.

Please advise,

Last edited by Leo2015; 08/05/15 06:18 PM.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Mitel, NEC, Vodavi
Moderator-Mitel, NEC, Vodavi
Turn on SMDR & start getting a record of the calls placed. Are these pots lines? They could be tapped into or a short could possibly cuase issues.

Leo2015 Offline OP
OP Offline
We have a mix of lines; we have a PRI and some fax lines. Unfortunately, I don't have an SMDR. How can I tell if it is being tampered with or if it's a short?

Thanks for the input.

This may be totally unrelated except for the symptoms....

I once had an abandoned, but still connected inter-building cable that got damp. The moisture and slight movements from wind were momentarily shorting one pair (an SLT port in this case) and the KSU interpreted it as dial pulse dialing. The random 'dialing' made several calls to 911. Also made a bunch of internal calls to 211, 311, 212, etc. Mostly the lower numbered digits.

I spotted random off-hook activity on ports that should have been idle and that led to isolating/eliminating the cable.

Leo2015 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks,

I am suspecting (hoping) it's something like a faulty line. Unfortunately, we have a large campus and having someone come out and look for a faulty line is just going to be the "needle-in-a-haystack" problem right now. I am hoping to narrow down the cause and location than start checking the lines in the suspecting area.

Again, thanks for the input.

What DR PBX said. Get smdr and you may see that a station or stations are making the calls, disconnect them, if problem goes away connect 1 at a time until it re-appears.
If calls are going out PRI it would be a station.
If you don't have it, get it, unless you want this to continue.
Do you have a tech that knows the system???
You said a call was traced to a department. How?

Hook up your SMDR (you know this). I would look at 2 things, first make sure a fax server, fax machine, elevator phone, alarm line etc isn't dialing 911 by mistake. Second, check your voicemail to make sure someone isn't trying to hack through it.

Leo2015 Offline OP
OP Offline
I apologize but the system is new to me - I have only been here for a month.

However, I know for certain we do not have SMDR or any type of call accounting software licensed or installed. Judging from the age of the unit - I don't plan on proposing any upgrades to the system.

Yes, calls are going out to 911. The authorities came to us with a phone number and it rings to a group of phones within a department (which there are three extensions within the group that ring to the number) - the group is part of our PRI. They were not able to tell me how they acquired the number.

You obviously don't know much about phone systems.
Get an NEC tech who knows that system or start paying for bogus 911 calls.

Last edited by brokeda; 08/06/15 08:39 PM.
Check all of your voicemail boxes for an outdial option. Look for 9+11 as a outdial number. Your VM may have been hacked. You do not need SMDR to do this, just some patience as you scroll through every mailbox assigned. Delete any mailboxes that are not being used by valid extension users, and verify that they all have passwords assigned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
4 members (Toner, curtonpond, Curlycord, Professor Shadow), 90 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024