web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been asked a million times by now, but the search function resulted in 0 hits for the word "voicemail" and, going back more than 15 pages, I couldn't see anyone asking the same thing. So, please be patient with me. I'm rather new at this.

I have a simple request: how can I, as the admin, delete backed up voicemail messages in a user's voicemail box? I have a user who has maxed out his mailbox - 100 messages - and is asking that I clear it for him so he doesn't have to go through and erase them individually. Is there any way to do this without simply deleting his mailbox and rebuilding it?

Thanks in advance,

MC-ITGuy

Mitel 200 ICP MX

$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found

("Do or do not. There is no try.")
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

my take on this is the user let it built to 100 messages the user can take care of them. Are they going to contact you each time their mailboxes get full? The user can go through them quickly if they access their mailbox press 7 to play and 3 right away to discard, then 7 and 3 again until all are gone.

OP Offline
Thanks, panda, for taking the time to respond and share your thoughts on the matter. I really do appreciate it. However, the problem with your answer is two-fold: a) it doesn't really answer the question, simply because I would like to KNOW HOW to do it, if it's possible, for future reference and b) this is actually my boss we're talking about. I can't exactly get all up in his grease about his lack of mailbox hygiene. *chuckle* I just need to clear his mailbox and be done with it.

I was recently hired as the new network tech for the entire company. My predecessor was evidently not much more informed than I am. Not ever having worked with telephone systems before, I'm learning all I can with no training, no help and next to no documentation, except what I can scrounge from the interwebs. My boss's attitude is that I need to "own" my network and my telephone system. However I have to get to that point on my own.

So, here's me, asking really stupid questions of very smart people and hoping not to get beat up too much in the process. Thanks again, panda.

MC-ITGuy

Mitel 200 ICP MX

$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found

("Do or do not. There is no try.")
if someone replies with a solution I would learn also as the only ways I know of is as I mentioned or delete the mailbox and reprogram
It is not a stupid question

Well, first, about the mailbox... I'm not in front of a console and I'm going off my memory here and trying to visualize as I go, so bear with me...

Form 50 is what you're looking for. I believe that if you place the cursor on the number of old messages, I THINK that you'll get an option in the F-Keys to delete them. I'm not sure, and I'd have to try it.

But while you're there, turn off the "Delete - Never" and give him a reasonable amount of time to deal with his messages before the system deletes them. Also, bump up the number of messages he can have in his mailbox. Between those two steps, he'll never figure out why he hasn't had to ask you to do it again.

Now, there are two other things you need to do. Yes, a phone system is a network. Sort of. And yes, an electronic box that you program is an electronic box that you program. BUT -- being an It guy doesn't make you a phone guy, any more than being a phone guy makes me an expert on telegraphs.

I can make LCR tables that outdial "Oh my darling, Clementine" (4441 6664 4688 654 4566 6564 465 1354) but that doesn't mean I know Morse code, or that I can get a decent speed on a telegraph key. So thing #1 that you need to do is to find a local Certified and Authorized Mitel dealer. If your system goes down hard, Mitel tech support is not going to talk to you. They will talk to him. So you need to have him available, 24-7.

Thing #2, if you're going to fool around in programming on an ICP, is that you need to know what you're doing. Mitel will set up end-user training for you. You really just need the F&P course, but the I&M course, which covers F&P, wouldn't hurt you. It looks deceptively easy, but trust me on this, when something you typed in form 26 blocks a call because of something in form 20 that you didn't know about, you'll wish you'd taken the F&P course.

Footnote:

After reading that post, at least one person went offhook on his phone and punched in 4441 6664 4566 654 4566 6564 465 1354, just see if it really sounds like Clementine.

can't get cursor on "NEW" or "OLD" columns. I have never tried this but if you set the "DEL" or delete column to 1 (day) any saved messages should be deleted in 1 day.

should have said for the mailbox in question

Originally Posted by panda
should have said for the mailbox in question
Now that you mention it, that makes a difference...

Between us, I have a feeling that this fellow doesn't have access to programming and is attempting to use the Admin mailbox to make all the changes.

It's kind of obvious that he does not have access to the maintenance port. The problem is if he does get in there and does not know what he's doing, he could make more problems than what he has now.

If MC-ITGuy is still reading this thread, my recommendation is to contact a Mitel dealer in your area, pay that dealer to get in the system and make the changes mentioned in this thread and, maybe, show you how to do it. In addition, the dealer can also make a special access template for you that would allow you to get into the voicemail programming AFTER you have had some training.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nonameyet), 110 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024