Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Originally Posted by justbill
Originally Posted by hbiss
Where is the protection? Any time I ever saw something like that the OSP cables were spliced to stubs going to BEP terminals. From there there was a wall full of 66 blocks to cross connect to the building risers. Not directly spliced like that.

-Hal

Hal, when we did large jobs that require this we used CO protection and fuses to terminate the stubs. Look exactly like a CO frame.

Yes, I've seen that too with wire wrap terminations.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

SST #597982 02/14/16 07:52 PM
Standard procedure for running cables was to have a slot in the floor of the telephone closet and run the polyethylene cables from floor to floor. I believe what changed this was the major fire in 1975 at The World Trade Center in New York City. A fire started at night on one of the floors and spread to the closet and ignited the cables. Cables burned from the 9th to the 19th floors causing over $2 million in damages. Alarms were delayed because the Trade Center did not have to comply with NYC building codes. There were no sprinklers and smoke detectors only in the air conditioning ducts,which did not activate because the ac was shut down for the night. I' m sure Arthur and Sam remember this fire.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Originally Posted by ugly1
Standard procedure for running cables was to have a slot in the floor of the telephone closet and run the polyethylene cables from floor to floor. I believe what changed this was the major fire in 1975 at The World Trade Center in New York City. A fire started at night on one of the floors and spread to the closet and ignited the cables. Cables burned from the 9th to the 19th floors causing over $2 million in damages. Alarms were delayed because the Trade Center did not have to comply with NYC building codes. There were no sprinklers and smoke detectors only in the air conditioning ducts,which did not activate because the ac was shut down for the night. I' m sure Arthur and Sam remember this fire.

I thought that the 1975 fire occurred within an NYT CO, not the World Trade Center.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Originally Posted by hbiss
Where is the protection? Any time I ever saw something like that the OSP cables were spliced to stubs going to BEP terminals. From there there was a wall full of 66 blocks to cross connect to the building risers. Not directly spliced like that.

-Hal

Hal, if you're referring to the picture, that's just the vault to contain the splices that transition from PE cables to 100 pair, 26 gauge stub cables from the BETs that are located upstairs.

Frame-type protectors (303 type, for example) can be ordered with stub cables up to 300 feet long for use in larger central offices.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
SST #597995 02/15/16 09:16 AM
That was another fire at the Second Avenue NYT exchange building.Thought to have started in the basement cable vault. At $70 million ,one of the largest fire losses in the USA up to that time.

SST #597996 02/15/16 10:14 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Two fires - one at the WTC and one at the 2nd Avenue CO. The second one caused the big push for plenum wiring.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
SST #597999 02/15/16 11:39 AM
"I' m sure Arthur and Sam remember this fire."

Ummm...I wasn't there...I was on vacation...I was sleeping...I was out sick...I was never near the place...I was visiting a sick friend...my Mom needed me to do an errand...I don't even know how to start a fire...I'm afraid of matches...it was somebody else...I had to take my dog to the vet...

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

SST #598013 02/15/16 05:38 PM
The 2nd Ave CO fire did so much damage and caused so many outages, the telephone company actually installed panel CO offices to help cope with the outages. #5 Xbar was king and ESS was quickly coming, however, neither was available in quantity so they resurrected some panel offices and installed them. I was there to see the "Monkey climb the pole." Talk about an amazing mechanical switching machine. I learned, very quickly, WHY jump suits were required.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Originally Posted by ugly1
That was another fire at the Second Avenue NYT exchange building.Thought to have started in the basement cable vault. At $70 million ,one of the largest fire losses in the USA up to that time.

That's the one that I remember. I lived in NJ at the time and I remember that even calling within my own CO in Westwood was severely hampered. I think I heard that they determined the cause of that fire to have been a cable maintenance technician performing a breakdown test on a faulty cable pair without clearing the ends first. I may be wrong, but that would make sense.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
2nd Ave AT&T documentary

Unless there's another Jimmie Slemp in the world, a tech on headset is calling on the orderwire to my uncle in a manhole at 19:36 into the video. His sister remembers him heading to NY in the 70's from the Omaha Works. He passed a few months before I discovered this video, so I can't ask him about it.

So sad to watch the work done in this video, and compare it to the response by Verizon to Sandy.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,829
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,585 Shoretel
189,465 CTX100 install
187,619 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (metelcom, BobRobert), 143 guests, and 225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024