web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
breeze Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello to all...
It has been a few years since I last participated in this forum. I sold my two interconnects and have been doing the resale of ESI parts just to get rid of "left overs" here and there (and to stay somewhat active). It has been interesting to see the changes to the industry from the outside looking in and was wondering if the market for the ESI on premise is still active? Seems hosted has really taken over...
Hope all of you are doing great! Keep you butt set clean and your punch tool handy!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I assume if you are off premise, it has to be IP based system. I had a tech out the other day looking at our system and he commented that our system (CS 200 on premise, all digital or analog phones) is the kind that he takes out, replaces with an IP based system, then comes back to reinstall because customer is disappointed with the new system. Any truth to that?

Steve

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally Posted by Dukester
I assume if you are off premise, it has to be IP based system. I had a tech out the other day looking at our system and he commented that our system (CS 200 on premise, all digital or analog phones) is the kind that he takes out, replaces with an IP based system, then comes back to reinstall because customer is disappointed with the new system. Any truth to that?

Steve

By off premise he is referring to hosted / cloud based. The reality of it is that VOIP works like a charm if everything involved is configured correctly. The instances where systems are ripped out and the old digital system reinstalled are almost always the result of network or circuit problems.

Typically on premise VOIP deployments suffer from network issues and Hosted / Cloud based systems suffer from circuit related issues.

We install Shoretel systems. We have monstrous premise based Shoretel IP systems out there and the customers absolutely love them. We also have Shoretel Connect Cloud deployed and those customers love them as well. The bigger customers get a dedicated end to end circuit and the calls are crystal clear. On top of that the integration with Outlook, Mobility functions, Contact Center capability etc all lead to tremendous productivity gains.

Clear as mud?? grin

Bottom line is

Last edited by upstateny; 04/01/16 09:11 AM.
I see no advantage to VoIP or cloud based systems IF the in place telephone wiring is good and the customer is happy with the digital phones system features.

We have removed several VoIP systems in the past three months. The customer's network MUST be in great shape for VoIP to work correctly. Some of the VoIP dealers are snake oil salesmen and do not tell the customer that all their network switches have to be upgraded to POE. Then when they get the bill for that, Surprise, Surprise the VoIP system costs more than the digital system.

I think that hosted and cloud based systems may have an ugly surprise soon. The ISPs are already placing data caps on everyday users and the cost of providing the service will rise dramatically for those using hosted and cloud based systems. The FCC has ignored many of the arguments of those who manufacture cloud and hosted systems and just chant "net neutrality." If one reads the news from IT World and publications like that, one will see that there is growing concern that the "honeypot" that is the internet is going to be taxed and metered. It's coming, the timing might very well be after the election.

I still say that VoIP is a solution looking for a problem. I understand in new construction when the cost is weighed for premise wiring of a telephone system and the use of network wiring for a VoIP system that it make sense, sometimes, to just go with network based telephone service. However, here in western PA, the trend is to put in the wiring and go digital.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
If they are happy / satisfied with the features is the key phrase.

Once you start looking at true Unified Communications, Collaboration etc. the available features and functionality are almost unlimited. The capabilities of our Shoretel system are tremendous. In fact it offers 7 octaves of sound and many users find the quality to be too good and they reduce that down to 3 octaves. We integrate with Outlook, have an Enterprise Contact Center, road warriors have an app on their smartphones etc.

One of the biggest things about VOIP is that it is a catch all phrase. There is a world of difference between Vonage for Business or some entry level platform and a full blown premise based installation of a new Enterprise class system installed by knowledgable professionals.

Even hosted can be top quality if things are engineered properly and they purchase a dedicated circuit from the provider. The cost of the dedicated circuit is far less than a traditional PRI. They get much more robust capabilities for business continuity and disaster recovery etc.

Of course it costs more. The trick is to determine what the customer wants and needs. For many a traditional digital system does all they need. For others a UC platform will be well worth the investment.

Investment being the key word there. To try and utilize a cable broadband connection for 20 users on an old network is asking for trouble.

Moderated by  5years&counting, nonameyet 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,112 Shoretel
187,717 CTX100 install
186,810 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Curlycord), 55 guests, and 432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024