web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello, I am in the market for a new laptop and am having a difficult time finding one with all the options I would like. I need a 9 pin serial connection but I dislike the USB to serial adapters. I would also like a built in Modem.
I have heard the Express Card serial adapters work well so I was planning on going that route. Any suggestions on an alternate for an internal modem would be appreciated.
Looking for a 15" screen I7 with Express card slot. Would also like a built in SD card reader. THANKS!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I know this is old, but since no one responded I thought I should...I'm part telecom, part IT.

Pretty much your only choice for a laptop with a built in modem and serial port is going to be the Panasonic Toughbook 53. The other 2 Toughbook models have serial ports as well, but not a modem.

The upside of this is that it is a very sturdy, reliable laptop. It is meant for field work, and can survive some water and drops. The downside is that they are not the greatest performing laptops, and they are expensive. Starting price is about $1300.

I used to work with the Anhsuer Busch distributors supporting their mobile sales system. The Toughbook was heavily used across the country. Good little machine, and I only recall ever sending 1 in for repair.

You won't get a serial port or modem from Dell or HP at all.

You can add a cards to a laptop that will give you a hard IRQ serial port. But ya, I really dislike usb/serial connectors. Especially when loading router configs.

Admin
Admin
Originally Posted by Andyreed
I know this is old, but since no one responded I thought I should...I'm part telecom, part IT.

You won't get a serial port or modem from Dell or HP at all.

Oh crap! I guess I'm going to have to tell my Dell Latitude D620's to quit working LOL

I have 3, one I paid about $200 for and the other two were "free". They show up on eBay for about $100 or less.

Carl

I too have a D620 that I use for serial stuff.

I haven't treated it well...about 6 years ago I ran it over (in the laptop bag) with my car. Cracked the screen, but otherwise survived. Put a new screen in it.

Originally Posted by Carl Navarro
Oh crap! I guess I'm going to have to tell my Dell Latitude D620's to quit working LOL

I have 3, one I paid about $200 for and the other two were "free". They show up on eBay for about $100 or less.

Carl

If one requires a *brand new* unit with warranty, most Panasonic ToughBooks can be configured with a serial port. Their prices are on the high end of the spectrum, though.

Second-hand market is a chock full of CF-19, CF-31 and CF-52 units which can be had for a fraction of their original price tag and are virtually indestructible in my experience.

As always, YMMV.

"...Time moves slowly and it goes so fast..."

(Sandy Denny)
I use the cheapest USB-serial adapter I could find on eBay and it works just fine with Windows 7, Windows 10 and Cisco equipment. It cost around $5, and I did not even have to install a driver.

My HP laptop cost $200 in WalMart two years ago. It came with Windows 7. Last year I upgraded it to Windows 10 without any problem.

Just saying....

Vaya con Dios amigos!
Butch
I have Toughbook CF-74 laptops for my techs. They're listed for $300-$400 on Ebay with Windows 7 Pro. We swap them out with SSDs for even better performance and additional drop protection. Techs don't need to watch HD videos so no need for the latest processors.

Shawn
Absolute Communications, Inc.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,792
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,129 Shoretel
188,989 CTX100 install
187,373 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 6
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (James D., Toner, highlysecptial), 135 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024