web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#607515 02/01/17 07:30 AM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
OP Offline
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Aside from not answering calls from unknown numbers, if the question is asked, just say "no".

Obviously you heard the caller well enough to provide an answer....just not the one they were looking for. grin

I Love FEATURE 00
I get "are you in charge of paying the electric bill?" all the time. I always reply "we don't have electric". call

For quite awhile now I don't even bother to answer the phone and let the AA and voice mail handle it. If the call is legitimate they will leave a message.

For my cell, if you aren't in my contacts the ringtone is quack like a duck so I know what to ignore. spamani

-Hal

Even though it's difficult, I try to remember that the people who are actually employed to make these calls are just trying to make a living. They aren't the ones who should be the target of our anger and derision. I just say, "There's no one in the office right now who can help you." Then they say, "Oh sorry, I didn't realize this was a business. I'll take your number off the list."

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Another scam that has been around for a while is some group in (India?) posing as Microsoft Support, calls to inform you that your computer (desktop, laptop, 2-in-1 or tablet) is causing network problems and they would like to fix it for you (for a price of course).

I actually had one such call at the same time that I was on the phone with the real Microsoft Support. Because I was using the Partner ACS system phone in my bedroom, I didn't know who the second caller was, so, I flash hooked the first call to speak to the new caller.

The caller hung up pretty quickly when I told them that I was on the phone with Microsoft.

Others have come up with other retorts to this particular caller. Asking: "Which one of my computers are you talking about?" or saying "I have only 'Apple' or 'Samsung' devices" will bring a rapid end to the call.

I Love FEATURE 00
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I always say:

"Are you of the Hindu faith? Aren't you afraid of being reborn a cockroach for all this lying and stealing you're doing?"

They always seem to hang up at that point.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
There are some great youtube videos of people who set up "virtual machines" (essentially a computer within a computer for the non techy out there). These guys making these videos range from the professional CG's to 15 year old kids. When it's late and I can't sleep I find myself watching these videos of people getting some payback on these scammers. When the Indian "tech support" guy figures out he's being baited he often gets really nasty, swearing and threatening the person. The guys who make these videos are very clever. By using a virtual machine, the scammer can do no real damage to their computer, and they usually remove the basic system commands like syskey that the scammers use to lock up their victim's machines.

The Microsoft guys are a constant source of amusement, you can keep them hanging on forever. My latest last week was 3 calls from Publishers clearing House, same guy all 3 times.They wanted to know what bank I used, I said East Bank of the Mississippi, never phased them. All I had to do to claim prize was to send a moneygram for 1% of my winnings.

Originally Posted by dexman
Another scam that has been around for a while is some group in (India?) posing as Microsoft Support, calls to inform you that your computer (desktop, laptop, 2-in-1 or tablet) is causing network problems and they would like to fix it for you (for a price of course).

I actually had one such call at the same time that I was on the phone with the real Microsoft Support. Because I was using the Partner ACS system phone in my bedroom, I didn't know who the second caller was, so, I flash hooked the first call to speak to the new caller.

The caller hung up pretty quickly when I told them that I was on the phone with Microsoft.

Others have come up with other retorts to this particular caller. Asking: "Which one of my computers are you talking about?" or saying "I have only 'Apple' or 'Samsung' devices" will bring a rapid end to the call.

I had one of those calls yesterday morning...Subcontinental accent and all. I didn't let him read much of his spiel. My computers are just fine. Click.

Originally Posted by Arthur P. Bloom
Even though it's difficult, I try to remember that the people who are actually employed to make these calls are just trying to make a living. They aren't the ones who should be the target of our anger and derision.

I respectfully disagree. The people making these calls are part of the scam and are as guilty as those that hired them. They know full well what they are doing.

Like Cool Hand Luke said 'Calling it your job boss still don't make it right'

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 116 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024