web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Does anybody know what the code requirements are for bracing a 4 post rack, either nationally or in CA? I am in California. I was working today on a site that had their rack on wheels and no bolts to the floor/ ladder racking to the walls or anything else…
Any input is appreciated…

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Believe it or not, racks on wheels is okay. when a rack in being permanently mounted you have to have the proper contractors license but so long as is not permanently mount no license is required.

I've seen many racks not bolted to the floor just to get around that requirement

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Not from California, but as a former GTE employee (who had a large presence in CA) we used to get GTEPs (GTE practices) concerning mounting equipment (especially Central Office frames and cabinets). There was always an addendum for CA that called for earthquake bracing. As I recall they were pistons, kind of like shock absorbers.

I may be able to dig that up if you're interested. As far as a "code" requirement, I don't think the NEC would have much to say about a data rack. BICSI or the EIA/TIA? Maybe. I'll look.

Usually something on wheels is considered temporary and/or portable. I can't imagine any self-respecting or reputable data center allowing something to be put on wheels just to bypass a mounting requirement. And without cable rack/tray how do the cables get to the rack? Laid across the floor? Seems kind of sleazy to me.

In NYC we always bolted a rack down with at least 3/8" bolts. In COs and "Internet Hotels" (Level 3, Global Crossing) it was either ½" or ¾" bolts - all with double expansion anchors. If it was on a raised floor then we used the appropriate sized threaded rod and went down to the slab.

Sam

Last edited by Silversam; 02/03/17 12:35 PM.

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
There is nothing in the NEC, however, there may be a reference in IBC-2013/ICC-2015. Since we are in Pennsylvania, we usually follow the AHJ, but, honestly, 1/2" bolts in the concrete floor and ladder to the wall with appropriate anchoring is all we do. I have never had a AHJ actually specify anchoring requirements. They are usually too concerned with what type of insulation in on the cable.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Here in N.J. they like to see the rack is grounded. Which can get interesting if you don't check your ground against the third wire ground in the outlet.

John 807
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Grounding each rack (Usually #6) is a given. In COs, Verizon requires cloth covered green wire.

Sam

OP Offline
thank you everybody for your input!

The NEC follows the IBC rather closely these days and it doesn't' go into how a rack should be mounted or not. Codes like the NEC never tells you when you have to do something, it only states how it is to be done. There are other NFPA codes that will tell you the when part.

As for the BICSI, I don't think it covers the mounting requirements of when a rack needs to be hard mounted or not. I need to dig out my copy of the BICSI’s Information Technology Systems Installation Methods Manual (ITSIMM) to be sure.

The best thing to do is just contact your AHJ and see what they require.

Last edited by Mercenary Roadie; 02/03/17 07:05 PM.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Sam, is that cloth covered #6 still available? We use green #6 just not cloth covered and we check the potential between our ground and the ground the equipment is plugged into.

John 807
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I'm retired 7 years, so I'm not the best source, but yes, we could get it when we needed it.

Sam

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 154 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024