web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline

Hello.

I am trying to get an emergency elevator phone to dial out using cellular form of communication to the elevator monitoring service.

There is a product called Telguard TG-1B which is suppose to allow this.

However the roadblock I am running into is they are saying the phone built into the elevator does not have a digital dialer.

I don't know how its able to communicate to the existing monitoring company now over a traditional phone line however unable to contact the current monitoring company over cellular phone line.

Unless the traditional phone line is setup as a hotline meaning it will automatically dial a programmed number as soon as its activated whereas the cell based line for the telguard is unable to do this?

Is there any solutions you can see for this problem?

Perhaps there is like a 3rd party digital dialer(auto-dialer) that can be placed between the elevator phone and the telguard cell communicator? Is there a product that will do something like this?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
What is with this forum? It won't let me edit/add to my post because it said the " edit time has expired"? Is this new?

Anyway, I wanted to add this link to the Telguard device to allow cellular communication.

https://www.telguard.com/home/Products/Commercial/Telguard-for-Elevators-and-Emergency-Phones

Thanks

Nope not new, you have 30 minutes to edit.

Retired phone dude
I am not 100% sure on this and it might vary state to state but I believe the elevator phones are required to self-dial.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
I agree. I think most elevator phones are setup as a hotline extension that auto dials an answering service or dispatch center of some sort.

Looking at your link, I see the Telguard unit is used with a standard emergency phone hotline dialer which is probably already installed in the elevator. The Telguard provides a POTS line for the dialer so it operates same as connected to a land line.

However the roadblock I am running into is they are saying the phone built into the elevator does not have a digital dialer.

When you push the button what do you hear? With a hotline phone you will hear it dial and if it is connected to a POTS line that's obviously the only way it will work. So in that respect I think they are giving you a line of BS.

The only problem I can see is that many jurisdictions require a dedicated copper POTS line. So then if cable and FiOS are not acceptable I can see where they are coming from with cellular.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 03/22/17 01:20 AM.
Before you spend your (or the customer's) money, ask the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) for guidance.

The best way to deal with a government agent or other self-important authority figure is to ask, diplomatically, to be shown how "the other guys" are doing it. Ask the building inspector who will sign off on the job what method the guy down the street is using that is acceptable. Then follow suit.

Ask the elevator contractor for advice, too. Since they deal with this situation for a living, they will probably have an answer. Maybe not the right answer...

I speak from both sides of the argument, being an electrician AND a code enforcement person.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

OP Offline
Originally Posted by hbiss
Looking at your link, I see the Telguard unit is used with a standard emergency phone hotline dialer which is probably already installed in the elevator. The Telguard provides a POTS line for the dialer so it operates same as connected to a land line.

When you push the button what do you hear? With a hotline phone you will hear it dial and if it is connected to a POTS line that's obviously the only way it will work. So in that respect I think they are giving you a line of BS.

The only problem I can see is that many jurisdictions require a dedicated copper POTS line. So then if cable and FiOS are not acceptable I can see where they are coming from with cellular.

-Hal
Thank you for taking the time to look at the link I provided.

I have pushed the button and heard dials.

I do the feeling that I was being BS by these guys but I was not certain. Thanks for the advice.

By the day, does your state( NY I presume) require the copper lines for the elevator phones? I have spoken to the head of the state regulator who told me the new technologies such are wireless are fine as long as they have at least a 4-hour battery backup.

Thanks.

Last edited by raidsystemtech; 04/08/17 04:09 AM.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Battery backup time for these life safety systems is speculative, to say the least. Who will monitor them? Who will ensure that the battery backup is capable of providing four hours of support?

We can't get away with these substitutes for phone lines here for elevators or fire alarm systems. Verizon is fighting it, but they still provide copper facilities to new buildings, supposedly just for these purposes. Our local authorities still allow fake phone lines via cable TV companies' EMTA devices though. Truth is, these inspectors have NO idea what they're looking at. It's the honor system at best, until someone gets hurt and the lawyers get involved.

In these parts, any cell phone calls follow the national standard of ten-digit dialing, even for local calls. Is it possible that the embedded dialing equipment is only dialing the call using seven digits? You don't really need a digit-grabber to count the number of digits dialed.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
... does your state( NY I presume) require the copper lines for the elevator phones? I have spoken to the head of the state regulator...

In NY there is no state anything (except taxes). Local fire marshals and building inspectors are the ones who make that call and in all the localities I have worked in they have always required dedicated copper POTS for an elevator phone.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,706 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Curlycord, JBean3329, mongo5150), 107 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024