web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#6107 05/13/05 02:08 PM
OP Offline
Well, Just one question.... Untill now I didnt know about the rules for using CDs for music on hold. At the moment, I am using a plain old radio connected to my Avaya Version 5 Partner ACS phone system. I am thinking about either using Muzak or just getting another Direct TV rec and hooking it to the MOH port...

What does everyone else use?

Matthew

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#6108 05/13/05 03:37 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
By far, the cheapest thing to do is go to Office Depot and buy one of their music on hold CD's. They contain licensed music (different varieties) along with professional pacifier messages. I think that they are about $30.00. All you need then is a good quality CD player that will repeat the playback of the CD continuously. Remember that it's going to be running 24 hours, so don't skimp on quality.

You can also buy an On Hold Plus OHP-6000 (about $349.00 list) that includes everything you need, even computer software to let you customize your own production. The manufacturer will also make custom productions for you. Most telephone equipment vendors sell them or have access to them. You might even check the manufacturer's website to see if they sell direct.

Muzak is a subscription service that can get expensive. Unless you need it for background music, I wouldn't see much sense in a monthly subscription for just music on hold.

Remember that using a radio or regular CD violates copyright laws for rebroadcasting licensed material. I am pretty sure that the same applies for a DTV receiver. I haven't seen a lot of cases around here, but I have heard of businesses getting sued for using radios and CD's for music on hold elsewhere in the country.

------------------
Ed
---------
How come there's always enough time to go back and fix it a second time?

[This message has been edited by ev607797 (edited May 13, 2005).]

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#6109 05/13/05 04:34 PM
From those you mention about the only one that is legal is Muzak.

Music is copyrighted material. It is certainly OK to buy CD's or listen to the radio for your own personal enjoyment but when you use it for business purposes without licensing you violate the copyright and usage laws. Business use is just about anything from live performances to recorded background and even music-on-hold.

Music licensing and usage rights are handled by three agencies in the US, BMI, ASCAP and SESAC. If you really want to play CD's or radio (or use them for MOH) in your place of business you can deal with them directly. You would have to purchase rights from all three because each one handles only certain artists and you could be using music by any of them. If you go to the BMI, ASCAP and SESAC websites you can see what is involved and what the costs are.

All three of these agencies have "spies" recruited from everyday people as the go about their business. They are asked to report back to them any business that may be playing "questionable" music so they can investigate. (I know how this works because I was approached by one agency to be a spy- I declined.) You can be sure that when the RIAA is fining teenagers thousands of dollars for copying music they will take a hard line with businesses not paying copyright fees.

As has been mentioned there is "royalty free" music available but don't expect anything you have ever heard before... It's probably OK for MOH but that's about it.

If you need background or foreground music or just want original artist material you are either going to have to pay for the rights yourself or use a music service such as Muzak and DMX. They pay the rights for you as part of your subscription but they can be a bit pricy especially if you are only using it for MOH.

Another consideration might be Sirius and XM radio. Both offer commercial packages with all rights paid. You mentioned Direct TV. They too offer a commercial package with many of their Music Choice lineup. Use a direct TV receiver and only use the audio outs, you don't get any video except for some text with title and artist.

I believe all three of these are only something like $19.95 per month.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#6110 05/14/05 12:37 AM
i have used plain old radios, and cd's for about 20 years and never had a problem.......

dont let the lawyers scare ya..........

#6111 05/14/05 02:10 AM
Playing live radio is not a re-broadcast. The radio station has paid the copyrights. I believe you can play that live broadcast anywhere you want, in your store, at a swimming pool, in your bathroom or into your phone system.
What's the difference if the client hears it playing in your office on your desk or on the phone? What if I lay my handset down near a playing radio? Any lawyers out there? this sounds like a crock to me.
mark

#6112 05/14/05 02:19 AM
neltech has a sonorous music player
it downloads with a wave file cd / 5 year warranty / presently comes with a coupon for free custom recording for customer @ $200 dollar range /quality product /
mark
i still think a rebroadcast is a copyright
problem but,again i havent heard a word about bmi etc causing a problem in i bet 15 years

[This message has been edited by KENB (edited May 14, 2005).]

#6113 05/14/05 03:29 AM
I would argue that if it's playing live, real time, it's not a re-broadcast and it's free to any ear.
But I have lost a few arguments [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
mark

[This message has been edited by markk (edited May 14, 2005).]

#6114 05/14/05 04:45 AM
i would agree if the music came out of the radio in the phone room ,but its being REBROADCAST to the listener on hold on the phone system so have all your customers that do this send me $200

#6115 05/14/05 05:11 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
This is from the BMI web site:

Q: Our Music-On-Hold System Only Uses Programming From Local Radio Stations. Aren't The Stations Already Licensed?

A: Though radio stations are licensed with BMI to perform the music they broadcast, that agreement does not cover further public performance by those receiving the radio broadcast signal. When radio music is used in music-on-hold, that use is a separate performance under the copyright law.

#6116 05/14/05 06:26 AM
Since this is the World Wide Web lets hear from somebody that has been busted for using a radio or cd for music on hold. Not a story that someone has read or a guy who knew a guy. This has to be the biggest urban legend in the phone world. I have been in business for 20 years and so far nothing. Paying for music and a low voltage licence both are for the people who like to give away money to anybody who asks with a good scare tatic.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,113 Shoretel
187,718 CTX100 install
186,811 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Touch Tone Tommy), 73 guests, and 418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024