web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19
RedBul Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Carl Navarro
In the very first days of personal computing (about 1979-1981) they made a Selectric interface. It was a solenoid panel that fit over the keyboard and tapped out your print. Remember, dot matrix printers were ugly and didn't even have descenders on the lowercase letters. Qume printers were VERY expensive in 1980's dollars, and the poor guy like me didn't have hundreds of dollars to buy one anyway something like 40 of them.

If you have time to waste, there are some articles and a thread on the interfaces here: https://www.google.com/search?q=IBM+Selectric+keyboard+interface&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Thanks Carl,

This is exactly the idea which came to my mind while thinking about Selectric: to make an interface based on solenoids to print from PC. Need to see, probably some are still available around.

I have two dot matrix printers here (actually 3 - third is for printing log from PBX): one for A4 width and one big for A3. Both equipped with continuous paper. I print long lists on them. Smaller one is cool - I have a color cartridge for it - CMYK, so it allows to print in color. That was like the top of dot matrix technology just before it died.

But typewriter type printer is much cooler. There were big ones with daisy wheel, which printed the whole line in one hit, but they are rare and expensive. They were very fast in printing

Last edited by RedBul; 09/18/17 02:30 AM.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RedBul Offline OP
OP Offline
Underground Phone Lab creation project has started. Underground because it is physically under the ground - in basement.

[Linked Image from s26.postimg.org]

Last edited by RedBul; 09/18/17 01:54 PM.
RedBul Offline OP
OP Offline
Here they are! Picked up from the owners on the way to business trip.

So far the idea was to take 2 or 3 with different defects at negligible cost and make out of that one good. But it looks I was wrong: IBM in 1970s produced with the same approach as Western Electric - i.e. Last Forever. Out of two one has been already repaired by me in the hotel room with no tools (fingers hurt a bit).

I'm afraid now that I will end up with 4 good red Selectrics, since I've contacted several people and all of them committed to give their ones away since they can't repair them and most probably don't need.

In States these are pricey. Here people give it for $5-10 only to get rid of them.

I was impressed with the quality: first time saw a carbon tape (this is the one time tape) - quality of printing is exact as on high resolution laser printer or better.

Last edited by RedBul; 09/20/17 08:59 PM.
Wow...very neat!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
In States these are pricey. Here people give it for $5-10 only to get rid of them.

Wouldn't know, ours went in the dumpster about 10 years ago. I really don't think they are worth anything here either. Mine had a couple of AA batteries down inside on the bottom when you lifted the cover. Never could figure out what they were for. Don't remember it looking like those- completely mechanical.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
RedBul Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by hbiss
Wouldn't know, ours went in the dumpster about 10 years ago. I really don't think they are worth anything here either. Mine had a couple of AA batteries down inside on the bottom when you lifted the cover. Never could figure out what they were for. Don't remember it looking like those- completely mechanical.

-Hal

Go to eBay and see what people ask for Selectric II or I. I was shocked!

This is the example of test printout:

Last edited by RedBul; 09/21/17 03:07 AM.
We had one Selectric II in the office that we would fight over. It was on a mobile cart, and you never knew where it would end up.

RedBul Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by DND ON
We had one Selectric II in the office that we would fight over. It was on a mobile cart, and you never knew where it would end up.
I have four of them now. May share one with you, if you want:)

RedBul Offline OP
OP Offline
Western Electric 2632CM1 beige Call Director has arrived today safely.

This will be a long restoration project - it looks like it has spend couple of decades in a very humid place, so a lot of oxidation and rust on all metal parts inside and outside. Base will need to be re-painted on the bottom. Nevertheless initial check indicated functionality of all major components within the set.

Restoration plan includes complete cleanup of all internal and external parts, housing sanding and repolishing, upgrade to the full 18-buttons functionality and a new paper insert under the faceplate.

Long way to go, but this guy has all chances to see his better times and come back to the mint condition.

P.S. Insects debris has been already removed from the set...

Last edited by RedBul; 09/27/17 09:52 AM.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Good luck! That's going to be a long time labor of love!.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
4 members (Touch Tone Tommy, Toner, curtonpond, Curlycord), 81 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024