web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Good day

I have a client that their installer has bailed on them (went bankrupt actually) so we have been handling their minor phone issues as well as their network upgrades and such for the last couple of years.

The client has a Toshiba CIX40 with AR5.20 software. They have a number of different handsets but they have about six local extensions and about a dozen VOIP stations. I don't think the handset model matters, but could be wrong.

When the system was "working" a few weeks ago if there was an external incoming call, all the local extensions would ring. Now "suddenly" when an external incoming call arrives it only rings on one extension. All other internal incoming calls work normally (extension to extension). All local extensions can make out-going calls.

I have looked into the "Night Transfer" feature, which seems to me to be the first place to look.

When I log into the emanager software the only extension that has Night Transfer button identified Station>Station Assignments>Key(tab) is the handset that is the only one ringing when a external call comes in. I have had them activate this button but it has had no effect.

I am convinced that it is a user that has activated some feature as no one in the office knows how to access the emanager software or knows how to make wholesale changes via the handset. The only other item that seems to be an issue is that they have had power issues and although the unit is on a battery supply and surge protector, I am wondering if there was a power issue that causes a corruption in the "system" that cannot be seen in the software. I have not done a power down and reboot (classic computer troubleshooting I know!).

I have searched a number of threads and forums looking for similar issues; while coming close to a description it is not exactly the same and have yet to find an explicit answer / solution.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers

John

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I tend to think that the easiest solution is usually correct. The Night key would be to most likely cause. Do you know how the user activated the button? There are 3 modes to the button. Mode 1= LED off. Mode 2= LED flashing. Mode 3=LED solid on. When the user presses the Night key they would select 1, 2, or 3. I would try all 3 modes.

Most often, I program Nite mode 1 to ring receptionist, Nite mode 2 to ring all phones, and Nite mode 3 to go to Voicemail. I would presume that something like this is common. I agree with Newtecky, test all three modes.

OP Offline
Thank you for this. I guess I am going to have to go to the site and see what they are doing as they said they have "pressed the night transfer button" and there is no effect.

I have looked in the emanager software and it seems to me that they only have Day1; which if I am understanding correctly, it should be a simple depress of the "Night Transfer" feature button to activate / deactivate.

Is there the ability from the emanager to remotely activate / deactivate a feature?

Thank you for your responses.

Cheers

John

You will always need to press the Night key plus a number 1, 2 , or 3 to change the mode. Just pressing the button will just show the current mode.On older DK systems you coulsd just press the button o toggle day/night, but not with the Strata CIX systems.

Unfortunately there is not a way to change the modes using eManager.

OP Offline
Just a bit of an update on this. I was at the site and confirmed that the night transfer options are programmed 1, 2 and 3. One seems to be "no effect" meaning that I believe all phones should ring. Two seems to go to an "auto attendant" option; essentially sending them to a company directly. Three goes to a general voicemail.

I tried all three options personally and there has been no change, only the one phone rings when I call in.

I am going back this evening to power down the system and start it back up...

I know that no one has been in the programming as they do not even know where the username and passwords are for the system... so I am guessing that something go corrupted some how?

I will update tonight. I appreciate your assistance.

Cheers

John

I have only seen programing change on it's own in a couple rare, isolated instances. It appeared that some of the most recent programing changes reverted back after a power outage. In those cases I believe what happened is that the last changes were not backed up to the SD card and the system reverted to the older database after a power outage.

In almost every other case when something seems to have changed on it's own or the system is acting weird, I usually find an actual reason. That's why trying the Night key was the obvious first step. I see DND and Night keys toggled all the time, and sometimes the users didn't even know what the buttons were supposed to do.

I don't believe a power cycle would fix the ringing issue, but I doubt if it would hurt anything to try. Like any electronic appliance the Toshiba PBX can have it's minor quirks, but overall it is a very stable system.

I am assuming that by now you have already reset the PBX. The next step would be to start with the Trunks DIT settings to see how Day 1 is set for those lines.

OP Offline
Thanks David for the reply... nothing new to report after the power down. I had to physically move the ringing phone to a different jack so they can get some work done. While it is not stopping their operation, it is annoying I guess.

I am going to have to find a recommended troubleshooting method for this.

As you suggested I need to check the call flow through the DIT tab and see if there is MCGs, but other then that I am not too sure where to go. I have read about SCF Templates (Station Call Forward?) and can track the call flow there also.

I probably should get someone who does this all the time in, it might be faster, but I am looking to learn also... and love a challenge!

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

John

Don't worry about System Call Forwarding. It is almost always used to forward to voicemail. Look at the trunk assignments and start there. They will DIT to an extension. Based on the description mode 2 and 3 both go to voicemail. Look at the Day 1 Destination. There is probably an extension number. The next step would be to figure out if that number is an extension number, a Phantom DN, a Hunt group (unlikely), or a Multiple Call group. I am just guessing that this is a Multiple Call group, but it could also be a Phantom DN.

OP Offline
Well I have added the DNs to the MCG and we will see in the AM if it works or not...

Cheers

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 152 guests, and 239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024