web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi there,

I came across this forum and I'm trying to figure out the 8EXT Digital Super Hybrid System. I'm currently working at a company that has the system. The KX-TVP 50 I believe. The general gist I'm getting is this system is used to control our phone lines. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just trying to understand the system and see if we need to upgrade, and if it is possibly connected our fax problem.

Problem #1 The fax machine seems to only receive some faxes, and not all. It comes in as a fax error. I have already called the phone service and they state it's clear on their end. We have also changed the printer 3 times. All the cords. We are able to send faxes out, the phone service says it shouldn't be the wall outlet or else we wouldn't be able to send it out. The building isn't too old, and we don't really have a mouse problem so I conclude the wire inside the wall should be fine, but we won't know unless we open it up. So is it possible the 8EXT system could interfere with it? Is it because it is too old? Faxing is important to us, we currently receive PO's that way.

I have tried to google the answers but they all come up with manuals, and a lot of information I don't understand or can't quite scan through. Is there any references you can refer me to?

Problem #2 Do we need it? I've been wondering why we need it, it's such a big machine, is there no alternate? Should we upgrade it? Is there a need to upgrade? We currently have 4 lines plus another 2 for faxes, we may want more lines. Again, would it be worth it more to upgrade?

Problem #3 We are also tied to what phones we can have because of the compatibility. Or at least that is what I have been told. Is there any way around that? We wanted to purchase a voicemail machine, but that goes back to what phones are compatible. I don't want to buy a 10 year old voicemail machine for the next 10 years.

If someone could enlighten me, or even send me some easy to understand resources or where to even start looking that would be awesome.

Thank you, Damsel in Distress.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
I think that this is a Panasonic system. I am going to move the topic to the Panasonic forum. If it is something else, the topic can be moved to the proper forum.

I Love FEATURE 00
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
KX-TVP is the Panasonic Voice mail part of the telephone system, the other part would be something like KX-TD500, KX-TD-816, (or some such thing).

There are variation in each, so it really depends upon the system.
Wait a couple days and see if you get a response then...

Perhaps it is time to locate a dealer in your area. Your location of: Canada, is a BIG area to narrow down.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Administrator
Administrator
Are the fax lines being routed through the telephone system? If so,,, the system my not be supporting the faster baud rates on the new machines. Try putting the fax lines directly to the fax machines and see if that changes your incoming completions. Take note of what company / mainly the telephone number that is trying to send you a fax, and have them resend once you have the lines direct. Also make sure your fax machines are set for the baud rates that is being sent to you.

Last edited by usedphones; 06/26/18 03:26 PM.
also pictures can help us help you.

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!
OP Offline
Hello smile

Thank you for getting back to me. I can't seem to reply to the individual post... I swear I'm not 80 year old computer illiterate.

@Daniel I took the pictures, but of course I don't know how to upload the pictures. It just asks for a URL Link. There doesn't seem to be an upload file. And it's not an online picture, I sent it from my phone to my work email. So I'm not exactly sure how to post it here. If there's a quick way to do this please let me know.

@Usedphones You're going to be need to be nice with me. How do I know if it's being routed through the telephone system? And how do I put the fax lines directly to the fax machine? Which wire, the one connected to the little boxes? I'll take a picture as soon as I figure out how to post a picture here so there can be a better explanation. Or if you have specific pages to a manual I can try to connect the fax to the system.

From my understanding of what baud rates are and please correct me if I'm wrong. It is how fast I'm receiving the fax? Now I'm not sure what I currently am using, but the numbers I get off my fax machine is Fast V.34, there are two other options. Med V.17 and slow V.29. Which one should I be using then? If I use slow does that mean it would take me forever to receive 8 pages? Because there is one customer who sends about 8 pages per fax. My printer/fax is a LaserJet Pro MFP M521dn. I also get print outs of my fax results when they fail. It switches between Comm Error 283 and 232. According to Shaw, there is no problem on their side and they can't figure out what the problem is.

Sometimes though, I don't even receive a failed log, it just doesn't get sent. They will send it on their end, but we won't even receive it. I've noticed though, sometimes I get a phone call and it sounds like a fax machine coming through. Is it because the sender put in our telephone line instead of the fax? Or is that a machine problem with the KX-TD816C

@Professor Shadow I have the TVP50 Voice Processing system and the KX-TD816C. And wait a couple days for what response? We are located in Vancouver Canada. And I would love to locate a dealer, I would like to just know if it's do with the machine, and what would I be looking for. If I were to upgrade what would I upgrade to? I want to have a bit more information. When I've checked the dealer websites I can't understand all of it, and google does nothing for me, except crazy long manuals that are too in-depth and I have too little knowledge. If you think that it's still best for me to talk to a dealer I completely understand and I plan to. If there's anything you could tell me though that would be awesome.

Thank you for your time, Damsel in Distress

Last edited by SuperiorT; 06/27/18 04:19 PM.
You might try this site to locate a dealer near you. https://help.panasonic.ca/english/support/dealerlocator/default.asp

For the fax issue.
If the fax machines are on a call (in or out) do you see a button on the phones light up? If it does then your fax lines go through the phone system.

Something that I have dealt with before on faxes is that you should not have multiple fax machines using the same phone line. Occasionally the fax machines will fight to see who gets the fax,l and thus neither gets the fax. Also If there is a security system dialer on the same line as a fax machine it can also cause problems.

You might also plug a plain old telephone in where the fax machine is and make a couple of calls to see what the call quality sounds like. If it sounds like garbage then you know that it is an issue with the telephone line.

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Originally Posted by Daniel
You might try this site to locate a dealer near you. https://help.panasonic.ca/english/support/dealerlocator/default.asp
A quick search shows 5 authorized dealers for "Business Communications" and "On-premise Systems" in the Vancouver area.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
While you’re looking for dealer to solve your issues, why don’t you try eFax?

Hi, I was a Panasonic dealer for many years.
The KX-TD816 is a very old system, but- it is very robust and good as long as you don't need any new features.

Chances are your fax does not run through the phone system, in which case your fax issues would have nothing to do with the phone system.
If, by some chance, the fax was connected through the system, it would have been done in order to save on phone lines for instance, but since you say faxing is critical to your company, it probably was not set up that way. If you need to dial a 9 on the fax machine prior to entering the fax destination number, then yes, it might be run through the system.

Feel free to send questions to me directly if you wish. Even many current Panasonic dealers may not be familiar with the old 816 system (the TD816 and 1232 systems were introduced around 1996).

As far as replacements, the TVP voice processing system needs to be replaced asap. The hard drives used in those system had an expected life span of about 5 years. The TVP systems were replaced by TVS systems probably 25 years ago.
The TVP will keep working until it doesn't. At that time you will lose all voicemail messages and be forced to upgrade anyway. Not trying to scare you into new purchases, but better to prepare than to be taken by surprise.

The 816 will also keep working fine, until one day when it doesn't. You will not find any techs who still work on those systems. The phone models are available on ebay, so you won't have any problems there, but a typical problem would be if a lightning storm knocks out some of the circuit cards or if the power supply goes bad one day. They are not hard to replace, but it will be hard to find someone with the knowledge or willingness to work on it.

Feel free to ask more questions here or contact me by PM
Charles

Moderated by  Carl Navarro, OBT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,706 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Curlycord, JBean3329, mongo5150), 107 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024