web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
This is an ACS 509 rev 7

I arrived on site and they told me of a cut cable due to construction. They pointed me to a bad station Identified by a former tech. I plugged it back in at the KSU and this station worked fine.

HOWEVER, like most customers, after that station was fixed they said the original problem that they called the other company for was that the system grabs a line every 5 min or so.

I monitored the CO line and can hear what sounds like a rattle similar to a short ring burst. It draws dialtone but no dtmf for 3-5 seconds then drops and repeats 5 min later. I disconnected CO 1 from the KSU and it grabbed line 2 instead.

I disconnected all the IW’s from the 308ec but trouble stayed
I removed that 308ec card and the trouble cleared so I reseated it and the trouble came back.
I pulled the VM card but trouble stays.
I decided it had to be that station card and replaced it.

HOWEVER the trouble returned with the new card in.

I removed the OTHER 308ec card and the trouble cleared as well.

With 2 new station cards inserted the trouble remained. With either station card removed the trouble was gone.

I backed it up and pulled the batteries. I left it at the default state with the VM out and on restart it continued to seize a line.

I restored their software and left out 1 station card to give them limited service.

Have I missed something here? My next step is to replace the processor & restore as I am out of bullets.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Not_sirius; 09/28/18 01:18 AM. Reason: grammar
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
With problems getting clean dial tone, could there be a problem with outside wiring? (Or is DT clean at the demarc but not so much on system phones).

I Love FEATURE 00
What I do in a situation like that is I choose a phone or two and program DSS buttons for every extension and VM ports as well. So now you can see what extension is going off hook just by looking. I don't know if this is going to help you but it's a place to start. I know you replaced expansion mods etc. Weird problem but for giggles do the DSS buttons just to see what you get. I agree that the next step is to replace the ACS but replace it with an R8 and program from scratch (you won't be able to restore from an R7.) . The R7 had lots of problems.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
I agree with Hal.
I had a call back in the day, where a phone cord was plugged in, and it fell just on the edge of where the fork trucks ran.
Every night, the truck would take the pallet of garbage out, and run over the cord end. This would seize a line. The only way to reset it, was power cycle the system.

we put a 34D in, so we could have DSS for every station...and tracked it that way.

OP Offline
DEXMANN
Dial tone is clean at the demarc and anytime they access it via the line keys if it is not in use. If I monitor the line at the demarc with the system connected I hear what I would call a short ring burst as it draws DT then it drops off after a minute.

HBISS
I like the DSS Idea but how do I know which are the VM ports. Also if 2 STA cards are present with the processor and the VM is pulled out there is no trouble. THANK YOU FOR THE RESTORE TIP!

MONGO5150
I've removed the IW's from the 2 station cards and if just the bare cards are in, the trouble remains. I hesitated to pull the IW from the processor as the trouble only happens when there are 2 308ec's

... how do I know which are the VM ports.

All you mention is VM card. What is it and if it's not the PC card that goes into the ACS you need go tell us everything in the carrier also.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
This may sound strange, but I saw a random and weird things happen with a bad 5 slot carrier.

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!
OP Offline
Slots are as follows:

308ec
VM (not just the PCMCIA card)
PROC
308ec
vacant

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
[Linked Image from touchtonetommy.com]

Your VM ports are:

VS
- 2-port: 31 & 32
- 4-port: 29, 30, 31, & 32

Partner Messaging:
- 2-Port: 27 & 28
- 4-Port: 27, 28, 29, & 30
- 6-Port: 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, & 32

the system grabs a line every 5 min or so.

Is it the same line each time? Or if the line it grabbed 5 minutes ago is in use, does it then pick a different line?

Last edited by Touch Tone Tommy; 10/03/18 06:06 PM.
I know your next question is going to be which VM is it and how many ports. Just intercom 27 through 32 and note which ones the VM picks up on. Those are your VM ports.

-Hal

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,110 Shoretel
187,715 CTX100 install
186,809 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 113 guests, and 405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024