web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#624930 11/02/18 01:20 AM
OP Offline
I'm pretty sure this should be an easy question to answer for some of you guys out there. I'm pretty new to 1A2 systems but I have been working with IT and electronics for a long time. I recently found a 620A2 key and power supply to go with it in an old phone company garage and some phones and I want to try to get them to work again. I'm running into a few problems.

The 620A2 I found had an unusual configuration and I think it may be part of the problem. It was filled with 469A KTUs instead of the usual 400Ds.

I checked the output voltage on the power supply and it is producing 10VAC

I'm using a 2565hkm phone with the 50 pin male cord that came with it. Not sure if the phone company guys put it in the cabinet because it was broken, or perhaps had a special setup for it for in house use.

I found a bunch of 400Ds and put one of them in slot A1 and wired up quadrant A1

Here are the problems I'm running into:

1. I hooked up the first quadran.t WB to GW are punched down on rows 2-8, the Ring and Tip from my phone line are on the upper left top two rows. (1A). I hooked up the YS and SY to rows 9 and 10. Bridging clips are in the factory default locations as mentioned in another thread I read on this forum about ringing problems.

I'm not getting any ring or flashing light when I call in on the line. I do hear a buzzing coming from what sounds like either inside of the power supply or the KSU that kinda sounds like a ring though.

2. When I pick up the phone I get a dial tone and the light on both the phone and the KSU turns on. When I press the keys on the phone the dial tone cuts out for a moment but it does not make any touch tone sounds.

3. My goal is to eventually make a break out box that will allow multiple phones to just be plugged in easily by an end user along with RJ11 jacks so that they can easily hook up phone lines. Not sure how to wire multiple phones to this system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
As far as the TT dial not breaking dial tone, swap tip & ring. Those old dial pads are polarity sensitive and won't work at all (or may make sickly sounds) when polarity is reversed. I'll have to look at a BSP for a 620 panel to figure out your ringing problem. Have you checked all the basics first? Ring gen is actually making 100+ volts at 30hz? Ring gen is making it from the power supply to the 620A2 panel? Interrupter starting when the line is ringing and interrupted ringing is making it to the panel?

620 panel BSP

it has been years but, i think ys/sy in the phone are connected to the set ringer. you may be trying to power the ringer with ten volts. if i remember correctly, the 10 v. buzzer inside the phone is on yo/oy. the flashing lamps are powered through a properly working interrupter. if the interrupter is running, it may have some dirty contacts inside.

any blown fuses?
sufficient system ground?

HE SEEMS TO BE SAYING SOME KIND OF WORDS
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
Old age is creeping in on me.... I don't know how I missed this last night.

What line cards are you using, and what is your source of dial tone? Comcast box, Voip adapter, copper POTS line?

These cable company phone boxes and Voip adapters use metallic ringing, where the ringing voltage is applied between tip and ring. 400D cards are looking for grounded ringing, where ringing voltage is between ring and ground.

If you've got a 400D card that's pre-issue 15, you're going to have a no ring-up condition. Those cards only work with grounded ringing. Even my copper POTS line won't work with pre-15 D cards anymore. If you can get hold of an Issue 15 400D card, or an ITT 400E, or any of the later 400G/H cards, try that. Might be your issue.

On those older cards, make sure you have a good ground source at the power supply, not just the 3rd prong of the electrical cord.

Retired phone dude
As Chris
Originally Posted by ChrisRR
As Chris says, this is a great source for finding most of the wiring/BSP's you need:

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/

"Thank you for call Technical Support. If you feeling your have reached this number in error, please hang up and try again." *®
~Jane Barbe
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
As far as multiple phones into any 1A2 system, it can range from super simple to give-you-migraines- complicated. The easiest configuration is called a "square system", where all lines appear on all phones in the same configuration. With 1A2 this is pretty simple. The phones just go in parallel. Easiest way to accomplish that is with CPC adapters. This allows two phones or cables to be plugged into one cable. The "correct" way to connect multiple phones is to run all the 25 pair cables to a backboard with 66 blocks and cross connect them all. It sounds like you want something sort of portable and/or dummy proof. In this case, use the CPC adapters. They can still be found on the usual auction sites, along with pre-terminated lengths of 25 pair cable in lengths from a few feet to upwards of 100 feet.

If you want a system that isn't square, with different lines appearing on different phones, connecting them up isn't all that hard, but getting ringing working is trickier. You can forget about using common audible, no sense in having a phone ring on a line it doesn't have. Now you're in the territory of diode matrices and migraines.

Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
Originally Posted by crotrader
I checked the output voltage on the power supply and it is producing 10VAC

You should have several voltages present:

A Battery -filtered DC for intercom talk paths- -24VDC
B Battery -unfiltered DC for relays and line card circuitry- -24VDC
Lamp Battery -AC for lamps and usually buzzers- 10VAC
Ring Gen -AC for ringers- 105-120VAC 30HZ
Buzzer -Some KSU's have this, some don't. Almost never used- 18VAC

Remember to check, if installed, the KS-20419L1 buzzers. They are notorious for getting too loose or too tight

501-120-100 REFERENCE
BUZZERS AND BELLS
IDENTIFICATION, INSTALLATION, MAINTENANCE, LIMITATIONS, AND CONNECTIONS

https://www.telephonecollectors.inf...set-components/9991-501-120-100-i11/file

You can never have too much paperwork.

"Thank you for call Technical Support. If you feeling your have reached this number in error, please hang up and try again." *®
~Jane Barbe
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies, you really helped me out. I'm so happy that you guys responded with so much information and so quickly. Giving me the missing pieces of the puzzle. I'll be sure to post some pictures if I get it working. I'm using a cellular to POTS adapter made by Xlink. I'm guessing from what you're telling me that it may be the source of the no ring problem. My 400D cards were all scavenged from the same old SNET garage in Hartford, CT. I didn't even realize there were different versions. I'm really new to this smile. Mine are all 8's and 13's. I still have a few there that I haven't brought home yet, but I'll take a look to see if any of them are newer. If not I've seen some for sale pretty cheap on eBay.

I have some 415B KTUs, from what I gather they're used to make the phone dial a line as soon as it picks up. Any suggestions on fun projects I could do with them?

I have a bunch go 469A KTUs too. I guess they're some sort of lamp power amplifiers. How do they work? Do you put them in any KSU slot for more power for the entire system? How many lamps can a 620A2 run without any help?

I can see where the battery voltage, and the 10VAC are on the power supply, but I don't see a location to test the 105 - 120VAC 30HZ for the ring voltage, can you give help me?

Going to try another phone to see if that's the cause of the no dial tone issue. Pretty sure my ring and tip are correct, at least at the KSU, haven't checked inside of the phone yet.

Fuses are OK for now. I broke two of the brown 70H fuses and swapped them out TEMPORARILY with some 70As from the bottom of the KSU. I found some 70Hs on eBay and they're on their way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,113 Shoretel
187,717 CTX100 install
186,810 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (KRRath, Curlycord, BPopilek), 68 guests, and 424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024