web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#627375 02/13/19 10:00 AM
tylan Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a customer with a DX-120 and Comcast lines. One user (the owner) says only his phone is dropping calls randomly and infrequently. I think he said he may go all week with no issues, and then have it happen 3 times in one day. He said it's been going on for several weeks or a couple of months. He has asked around and said no one else has the issue. I assume it's not the lines because others would probably notice. He said he has swapped his handset, cord, and even the phone itself. Assuming that the info he's provided is accurate... That makes me think something is up with the port 102. I honestly don't know if I've ever seen a DX-120 with a bad digital port.

You think switch him to 115 or whatever is next open? I'm not even sure if I want to play with dir swapping at this point. They don't give out extensions, so it shouldn't matter.

I have very little to go on. Any suggestions?

Last edited by tylan; 02/13/19 10:01 AM.

Business IT & Telephony Solutions
https://www.dsitechservices.com
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Does he have a line that is specific to his extension?

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!
tylan Offline OP
OP Offline
Nope. Same as all the others. Nothing special about 102.

Well, check to see if they are using a detangler on the handset. Also static shock right now causes these to happen as well. I would also replace the line cord and jack and check the cross connect on the blocks.

The only time that I have seen a phone do that it has been the hookswitch on the phone. You can try swapping him over and see if it is still happening. If not then you can worry about changing around his extension and all of the DSS buttons.

The Cloud is just someone else's computer!
tylan Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm moving him to 115, and disconnecting 102. Now that I'm on site I have at least 1 other possible report of a dropped call. If this is system wide that will change the picture drastically.

How did it work out?

Jim Hoey

SST Communications
597 West Montauk Highway
Lindenhurst, New York 11757

631 956-0100

www.sstcom.com

Business telephone systems on Long Island and New York City like Comdial, Vertical, Avaya, Panasonic
tylan Offline OP
OP Offline
Owner called again that it was still doing it. Spent an hour or two on-site. My opinion is that he's on the phone much longer than the front office people. They take more calls, but typically on the phone for less time per call. As a last ditch effort called Comcast. The tech said everything looked good, but just as I was about to hang up he said there were issues up from the modem. I'm not sure if he said node, but I think that's what he meant. All he could see was that Comcast engineering knew about issues that could affect my customer. Comcast said "I wouldn't go replacing your phone system yet"

I haven't called to follow up. I also haven't heard from the customer. I should probably call him tomorrow and see.

Last edited by tylan; 04/25/19 09:31 PM.

I have had a couple of 120's with similar problems. I have found that the power supply in the KSU is beginning to fail. Usually, if you access an outside line, then dial a digit to kill the dialtone, do you hear any garbage on the line. Usually if you hear some crap, buzzing, etc. it's the KSU power supply. They are getting to be the age where it crops up. Just my 2-cents worth.

RUSS K.
tylan Offline OP
OP Offline
He called again on a Friday at the end of the day to let me know how it was still doing it. I said it's not the phone system because it happens to only him on two different extensions. I said this sounds like a phone issue. Took him a new phone Monday morning, and it's been working fine. Apparently, when I asked him to try another phone it still did it.... Or maybe he tried another phone for a short time? IDK. I guess you can't trust the end user.

I guess there is a possibility that he a phone line Comcast issue that overlapped with a hook switch issue. I dunno. I don't know what he did when he tried another phone like I said originally. New refurbished phone has been working good for a few weeks.

Yes, I've had bad power supplies on the 120. HEB can fix that right up.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024