web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I'm considering making changes to our System Numbering Plan. We currently use three (3) digit dialing for Extensions, Service Codes, Trunks and Operators. We've grown over the years and "number blocks" are starting to become scattered. I also think I want to separate our locations on their own prefix/designator.

Code
####
||||+-Extension Digit 3
|||+-Extension Digit 2
||+-Extension Digit 1
|+-Location (Operator, Trunk or Extension)

Reason for change:
  • Years ago, a "block" of internal numbers represented a department. People and the number of extensions used by a department have grown since then!
    With the current 3 digit dialing, we still have more than enough numbers, but they are getting scattered and not as organized (OCD issue for some of us).
  • Currently all 200 extension numbers are direct dials for (###) ###-#2##. We need more direct dials, but the new block from phone company overlaps with another a block internal only extensions.
  • Put first digit as a designation for location or system.

My questions:
  • Is it possible to keep the 3 digit extension while also having a 4 digit extension? I think I would either assign a VE to each 4 digit extension or just forward the 3 digit extension to the 4 digit. Company culture is very conservative and not that responsive to change; which is why I'd like to try and keep the 3 digit dialing.
  • Any specific items that I need to watch out for or consider? I'm still in the discovery/planning phase.

-JA

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Are you networked and if so are you using CCIS or Netlink?

OP Offline
Nope! No CCIS or Netlink. Just a single system. We do have a combination of Analog, Digital and VoIP phones. We have either leased lines (dedicated for voIP phones) or our own fiber in the ground between facilities.

Just add a 1 (or whatever) to the beginning of all the extensions and leave your service codes alone?

OP Offline
I don't think adding a 1 will really solve my problem. Keep in mind that the three digit dialing was probably setup in the 1980's. We have some departments that have outgrown their "block" and their supervisor doesn't like it! Example, We blocked off 20 extensions for customer service. They now need 30. Right now, direct dial numbers are 200-204, internal numbers are 300-320 and 400-439 (new block). They don't like the overlap because when they call a specific person, they get 303 mixed up with 403 and call the wrong person. They don't want to move their current numbers to a 400-439. Other departments are running into the same time. Over the past 5 years, we have almost doubled the number of extensions (between physical stations and VE/ACD Numbers).

To me, they have a phone list and most of them have speed dials...Just get use an extension not being in "your block". Also, the reason we used 200's for Direct Dials is because the extension made up the last of your full number (XXX) XXX-2201 = extension 201. We now need more than the original 100 block of numbers, therefore we will be getting an additional 100 block of numbers (XXX) XXX-X700. This is blowing their minds that I can route a X7XX number to any extension in 300 or 400 range, etc. It's too complicated for some to get straight. Again, change doesn't go to well and by adding the block, it becomes less "organized"!

If I'm going to make a change, I'd rather just do it and get it over with rather than listen about the confusion over the next few years! I'd like to do the following:

==>Key Info
Facility 1 = 1
Facility 2 = 2
Facility 3 = 3
Facility 4 = 3
Extension [4 Digit], [3 Digit]; all 200 are direct dials, all 300 are internal only.

==>Examples
Extension 1100,200 - Facility 1, ACD Pilot Number - Customer Service [HAS DIRECT DIAL]
Extension 1101,301 - Facility 1, Customer Service Rep 1
Extension 1102,302 - Facility 1, Customer Service Rep 2
Extension 1130,230 - Facility 1, ACD Pilot Number - Accounting [HAS DIRECT DIAL]
Extension 1131,231 - Facility 1, Accounting Supervisor [HAS DIRECT DIAL]
Extension 1132,332 - Facility 1, Accounting Rep 1
Extension 1901,310 - Facility 1, Elevator 1 [HAS DIRECT DIAL]
Extension 1902,310 - Facility 1, Elevator 2 [HAS DIRECT DIAL]
Extension 1910,315 - Facility 1, Fax 1
Extension 1911,316 - Facility 1, Fax 2
Extension 2100,240 - Facility 2, ACD Pilot Number - Operations Office [HAS DIRECT DIAL]
Extension 2101,341 - Facility 2, Ops Office, Extension 1
Extension 2140,260 - Facility 2, VE - Workgroup 1 [HAS DIRECT DIAL]
Extension 2141,361 - Facility 2, Work Group 1, Extension 1
Extension 2142,362 - Facility 2, Work Group 1, Extension 2
Extension 2157,377 - Facility 2, Work Group 1, Extension 17
Extension 3100,280 - Facility 3, ACD Pilot Number - Workgroup 1 [HAS DIRECT DIAL]
Extension 3150,290 - Facility 3, ACD Pilot Number - Workgroup 2 [HAS DIRECT DIAL; Skill based routing]
Extension 3151,291 - Facility 3, Supervisor 1 [Has Direct Dial]
Extension 3152,391 - Facility 3, Employee 1
Extension 4XXX, XXX - Facility 4, Extension/ACD/VE station

Extension 5XXX - Mobile Extensions and Other Phones
Extension 6XXX, 7XXX - NOT USED
Extension 8XXX - Used for Service Codes, Trunks, Operators, etc.

Does this help or have I misinterpreted what you suggested, by just adding a 1?

-JA-

You are using a lot of real estate for nothing. Just saying I install a LOT of large systems. Not only that but you are gimping your auto attendant severely. Why not just use;

11XX
12XX
13XX
14XX

etc?

Then use 2XXX and 3XXX for other stuff like routing day/night modes acd groups and the like.

If you have issues with DID numbers and trying to line them up when you get a bad block or a non sequential one you have to make a decision. Hopefully you are using 4-7 digits for your translations. I mean if they are broadcasting their DID numbers with CLIP does it make a difference if they match up? 17XX then? Each person only needs to use their DID number and once they call out the other person will have it. Don't get me wrong a I have a TON of systems where I have moved the entire numbering plan around but taking a system out of default service cods is messy and makes the end user experience a bummer with all the literature out there. Considering you can also use the UC Suite so people can look up everyone's numbers pretty easily.

Last edited by Coral Tech; 07/01/19 09:00 PM. Reason: clarification
OP Offline
I see what you are saying now. I can probably figure out how to make that work. We have one location that has over 100 extensions, but the others are less. We're about to add a new building and throw 20 new phones in there with most of them having direct lines.
I knew my way of thinking, there would be a lot of unused numbers. I guess I was mainly tired of listening to gripes and complaints about numbering internal extensions and mapping those to a corresponding number that ends with the same as the extension. It's more of a people problem than technical problem!

The only technical issue was if there was away if they were to dial a 3 digit extension, for it to map the new 4 digit extension; at least until everyone was use to the 4 digit extensions.

I do like the routing modes, etc being on a completely separate range. Currently all our Service Codes are in the 600, 700 and 800 block, with Trunks being in 900 block. It's just that the block of direct dials from Telco map to our 200-299 block. The new block will be in the 700-799 range which overlaps with our current Service Codes. I was just looking for a longer term strategy to where I don't have to deal with the issue again....at least while I'm there!

Thanks for the guidance.

-JA-

Ya I make it really simple.

1101-1199
2100 VE rings no answer AA branch (zero goes to another VE 1100 cfna VM)
2101 and 2102 night and holiday
This way 2100-2102 can be used for routing

DDI tables can be used for main numbers if that is an issue for different groups if need be.

I usually use 3999 default for VM pilot.

Extensions kept in 1XXX use only 1 number for your DAT tables.

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,791 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024