web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#631380 07/25/19 01:28 PM
dtel Offline OP
OP Offline
I am in a remote area of Montana and have been asked to troubleshoot a Norstar Compact ICS V4.0 at a grain elevator. They have 3 extensions and 2 loop start lines. Line 2 has gone dead at the phones but is good going into the system. I wired tip and ring to another single line phone, but can not get dial tone unless I pull the T&R from the system feed cable. I have been installing Panasonic and Avaya systems for over 30 years, but this is the first Nortel product that I have encountered in this area. IF the system is able to handle 4 CO's, I would expect that I could enable the 3rd CO port and program that Line appearance at each of the 3 extension and enable ringing on that line port at each extension.
I downloaded the manual and am smart enough to not waste my time learning a system that I am unlikely to encounter again. There isn't a Nortel tech within several hundred miles of this business and I am not the kind of guy that says that they NEED to buy a new system to get such a small operation working on two lines again.
Looking for help and willing to pay.
thanks,

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Admin
Admin
What happens when you read the resistance on pairs 2,5 and 6 on the block? It seems unlikely that all 3 pairs are shorted. You might look to a mechanical failure (tail, bad bridge clip, water, corrosion, etc.) on pair 2.

Carl

Admin
Admin
If you have the manual I would move the CO line to CO port 3 and reprogram 1 extension for the line 3 to ring and appear. If it works you could program the remainder of the sets.

[Linked Image]
Former Moderator-Nortel
Former Moderator-Nortel
Do what "Rather be Fishing" told you.
Keep in mind that On the cable - you have Pairs 1 & 2 are Lines 1 & 2.
Then you have 2 Blank pairs. Then pairs 5 & 6 are lines 3 & 4.

If that works - You can program the phone that showed Line 1 and then 2 to show line 1 and then 3 .
The customer will still think he has 2 lines in the same spot.

To do that - Remove line 2 from the phones and then Add line 3. That will put line 3 right below line 1.

If CON is the opposite of PRO
Then what is the opposite of Progress?
Done that many times to get things going.

You can rename the 3rd co port to "Line 2" if you want, but that's the last of your worries. Hopefully the password is known or default so you can get in. If you're new to nortel, use the programming overlay in the manual to help with the keys to use while programming.

Jim

And finally in case you do not want to do all the above you could just order another line card, power down, replace, power up.

=---()))))))))---=
www.curlycord.com
[Linked Image from telcopc.ca]
Toronto, Canada

And hope it doesn't default.....

BTS
Not to scare the client but chances of defaulting at this time are pretty rare.

Also check the SP version as this will see if it has the IRAD enabled which would allow a vendor to dial in to make changes and do a backup of programming.

=---()))))))))---=
www.curlycord.com
[Linked Image from telcopc.ca]
Toronto, Canada

dtel Offline OP
OP Offline
The customer has powered the system down, for about 20 seconds, and restarted without "apparently" loosing any programming. I'm always concerned about what hits the fan after I get involved with a new customer and and unfamiliar system. If the card replacement is straight forward, I would probably recommend that. It seems like one port failure often leads to another.. Where is the card located, as I have had trouble getting the front cover off of the ksu.

Yes, the cover can be tricky. A small screwdriver will help. Probably an LS/DS card. Get cover off, power down and swap them out.

Last edited by BTS01; 07/29/19 04:22 PM.

BTS
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 107 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024