web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Retired Admin
Online Thinking
Retired Admin
Old ways are the best!

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Wow! Very Impressive!

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
One of the people who recently purchased my board made a demo video for his 4 phones here:

I did fix the problem he described about the line lamp flashing during CO rotary dialing, apparently no one caught this including myself until he noticed it.
Turned out to be a simple software tweak, so I sent him a new chip to fix his board; so problem should be solved.

OP Offline
Just found the answer to the question I asked earlier in this thread (comment #629330 - 04/23/19 06:53 PM) asking about the specs for rotary dialing.

I found a BSP document 975-110-100 "Customer Loop Signals and Signaling Systems" (Jan 1980) that mentions the spec for dialing:

[Linked Image from seriss.com]

In particular the specifics of rotary speed and make/break pulses, which says the rate of pulses is 10 per second, with a between 58% and 64% break ratio (how long to break vs. make). Basically, a slightly longer open time than closed during pulsing. So if you do the simple math, if a complete pulse (on+off) must happen in a 100ms (1/10th of a second), the contacts need to be open between 58ms and 64ms during that 100ms.

The timing of old uncalibrated dials might be off that spec by a bit, so if someone wants to read old equipment, one should be pretty forgiving.

In the end, the technique I ended up using was so forgiving you could very carelessly flash the switchhook by hand, and still accurately dial without problems, so I didn't really have to pay much heed to the spec. But it is good to know what the spec is and see it in a document that is appropriate to define it.

I know the inter-office signalling was much faster; I recall dialing long distance back in the 80's and you could hear the fast inter-office dial pulsing during the connection process, which I'm sure Evan Doorbell has a million recordings of..!

"A digit is dialed when the rotary dial is pulled off-normal (clockwise direction.)"

WRONG!

A digit is dialed when the previously-pulled dial IS RELEASED.

Dr. Semantico.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
It goes on to day exactly that, releasing the dial opens and closed the contacts corresponding to the dialed digit. Unless you're going to to pull the dial and pause it there for all eternity, digits will be dialed as a function of pulling the wheel

Yes, I read the whole thing, too. And yes, the released finger wheel starts the dialing. It's just a case of the technical writer tying his shoes before he put on his socks.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024