web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DonaldR Offline OP
OP Offline
I was watching this video by Metroline Direct and noted how connecting from a PC to the ACS partner Admin port using several cable adapters.

Has anyone attempted the use of a LAN to USB adapter, or is the protocol on the Admin port strictly Serial/Terminal/Ascii data?

I'm using XP Mode (MS Windows XP Emulator) on a Win7 desktop.

[img]
[/img]

Thanks

"Most people don't have a sense of humor. They think they do, but they don't." --Jonathan Winters
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
The admin port is serial, you need a 355A (or AF) adapter to get to RS-232. From there, you could use an Ethernet to Serial converter like this to put it on your network and administer your ACS.

Question is....why? Making changes is not real time, you pull the existing configuration into the GUI, make your changes with a multitude of mouse clicks, and then upload the file and reboot the phone system. Unless you are trying to make changes for a remote office, I can't see how that is easier or more efficient than just programming from Ext. 10 or 11 (and I've walked customers through programming entire systems from scratch over the phone in 30 minutes or so, simple changes take less than 2 minutes average)

DonaldR Offline OP
OP Offline
The main musical instrument manufacturer in Illinois I do warranty service for, and work for/represent during the yearly music trade show has moved into a space which is now half of it's previous siz. Prior to that a few years earlier they moved into half of the building space they previously occupied. Their current space will slightly less than 1/3 of about 5 years ago. The quote I was given was moving from 20,000sq ft, to 10,000sq ft, so now 7000sq ft.

This 5 module system was going to be left behind when they moved. One of the key people in the know who maintained the system was laid off during a downsizing of the company.

Instead of the system being left behind, I asked if it could be removed and shipped to me. The messaging boxes are all full etc. In the new building Comcast is providing their phone service and 4 phone extensions.

I'm taking on the task of extracting voicemail messages, saving to MP3 files for burning to a CDR and sent back to the service department head for him to sort through any important calls that might have been missed.

The Control unit is an Avaya with R3.0 installed according the sticker. I have in my possession the modules only. The frame/cage, phones were shipped in another box yesterday and should be arriving shortly. I do not know if it has ever been updated (just yet).

Fresh batteries were installed in the Control Unit Module prior to system disconnection and removal last week. Hopefully all of the current programming will still be intact.

I wanted to take a look at the Control Unit's programming overall rather than hunt and peck through the use of a phone extension.

This earlier Control Unit does not have an Admin port. It does have a Remote Access PC PCMIA card installed.
This suggests programming was administered via a PC at some point.

It isn't immediately apparent to me if the SMDR port can be used for this in addition to report printing, or is Ext 10, or 11 connected via modem for PC programming. I've been trying to read through some of the documentation I downloaded from Avaya's support website, however I haven't stumbled onto this answer yet.

There may be other documentation I need to download. There's literally 100s of files to choose from even after one tries to select what is pertinent in the search. Maybe it isn't that difficult, but I seemingly find documentation much more easily on the Panasonic Partner Portal. bash

Unfortunately I have a few other pressing items going on. The biggest is emptying out 30+ years of scrap wood my father stuffed into the garage along with all of the other wonderful little gremlin clean up from it not being closed up tightly.

"Most people don't have a sense of humor. They think they do, but they don't." --Jonathan Winters
It does have a Remote Access PC PCMIA card installed.
This suggests programming was administered via a PC at some point.
It really only suggests that the system was probably backed up to the card for restoration in case the batteries failed. You can look at program code #730 and see if there is a remote access programming password.

I'm taking on the task of extracting voicemail messages, saving to MP3 files for burning to a CDR and sent back to the service department head for him to sort through any important calls that might have been missed.
Voicemail messages are on the hard drive of the voicemail module. Access to the programming and messages is through IVR - call into voicemail, listen to Joyce-the-Voice, and press Touch Tone digits to tell her what you want. If your voicemail is Partner Mail VS or Partner Voice Messaging, the best you can do is set up a recording patch and record yourself (on mute) checking each mailbox and playing the messages.

If it is a Partner Messaging, you can get the "PARTNER Messaging Release X.X System Administration Software" to save messages one by one as .wav files. You connect via the Ethernet port on the Messaging module.

Good luck!

DonaldR Offline OP
OP Offline
I pulled the Remote PC card to look at it closer.

It is apparently only a 14.400baud modem card only.

It does not appear to have the back/restore, or update capabilities.

I'll check for the program code #730 password as you've suggested.

I did expect to record the voice mails directly from an extension to an external recording device.

If the default passwords have been changed, I hope someone has that information tucked away in their memory.

If not then I know you can do that "back door magic" if needed. dbanana

modemcard1

modemcard2

This system also has an ACS Partner Messaging Module, with a 4 port PCMIA card installed.

Oddly the Partner Messaging module has no information as to it's part number of version tag on it anywhere, only a serial number sticker of SN: 325952 . It seems to show no heat discoloring of the casing.

avayacsapartnermessaging module

The system is a mixture of Avaya, and Lucent modules. The backplane has a AT&T label.

avayacontroller1

avayacontroller2

lucentpartner206eR4,1-1

lucentpartner206eR4,1-2

lucentpartner206eR4,1-3

avayapartneracs206E,R4,1-1

avayapartneracs206E,R4,1-2

LucentPartnerII,400ECModuleR3,1-1x

LucentPartnerII,400ECModuleR3,1-2

Last edited by DonaldR; 07/23/20 11:56 AM.

Set your cabinet up with the modules in the following order:

Slot 1: 206 module marked 18 through 23
Slot 2: 206 module marked 24 through 29
Slot 3: ACS Control unit
Slot 4: Partner Messaging module
Slot 5: 400 module

Plug in a phone, press Intercom, and dial 777 to reach the voicemail.

DonaldR Offline OP
OP Offline
I believe that is the way it was configured previously. Someone had numbered the modules at the top of each with a felt tipped pen.

thanks!

DonaldR Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is the partner messaging internals.

No Hard Disk Drive In Here! smirk

Partner Messaging Mainboard

flash memory p/n view

Why are you tearing it apart? Put that system back together and check the messages. The format on that drive isn't going to give them up to you in a usable format, and you risk overwriting what's there.

There is no hard drive because it was removed and replaced with a solid state hard drive by a refurbisher.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 101 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024