web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Over on Facebook, I posted a picture of a utility pole near our house.

The house across from the pole is undergoing renovations. Whoever disconnected the coax & Verizon cables did the usual and wrapped everything at ground level and just left it there.

My feeling is that whoever disconnected the drops should have coiled everything and secured them high up off the ground...maybe hang the coils on any stakes (I think there are some there).

Someone in the group is posting replies calling me whiny and how I should just walk up to the pole with cutters, chop away, and stop complaining. He even jabbed me for using the words "Ma Bell". mad

Now, I think that would be illegal, but, in a nutshell, what does the BSPs have to say about temporary drop removals? ponder

I sent a PM to the group's Admin asking if the topic can be locked down as I don't feel like getting into a tit for tat with this person. I also said that if the topic has to be nuked that I would understand.

I Love FEATURE 00
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

It's Facebook, what did you expect?

I'd say the chances are better than even that it was taken down by the contractor and not Ma Bell. The last place home remodel I worked on was done that way.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Even funnier, the guy is a sparky. Here is a sample of his "advice". I've removed his name except in one spot.

Thats telephone wiring that poses no hazard relax people you're not in any danger

Jesus christ have you all lost your minds? What are you worried about?

go cut it down then . If thats your biggest concern right now you lead a pretty charmed life . Get over it you live in greater Boston and things get old and fail. You probably drive over 10 to to 20 bridges every week thar are near collapse and far more unsightly than an old telephone cable that none of you people even use anymore .

Well there you go! Get yourself some tie wraps ,coil it up , secure it and no need for this foolish debate . Its not an electrical hazard

so are automobiles what is your point? Its not an electrical hazard . Call Verizon or Comcast im sure they'll fly right over and assuage all your fears

i am also an electrician for 30 years and its no big deal if it was it would be addressed by the power company . At most it carries 48 volts it might look ugly but is not going to kill anyone . If you're an electrician get your extentension ladder and solve this debate. Its not an electrial hazard anymore than a cat 3 telephone cable that is exposed and stapled to the baseboards in your home. Just relax with this nonsense

Rick Jenkins
Keith Chinal
would u have left it this way

no i wouldn't have because i am a professional and take great pride in my work. My point is while it's unsightly and probably an example of work that is not neat and workmanlike its still not dangerous and there is no reason to get anyone worried about electrocution

ma bell ? Jesus what are you living in a time warp ? It hasn't been bell systems for decades

Paul Andrew Chudigian
its whomever not whoever smarty pants

I Love FEATURE 00
I dont have BSP in front of me, but would think there's no such thing as a temporary removal. You go out and remove it properly. You cant leave drops lose. They're not even supposed to be loose, they need to be tied down on a terminal.

If it was really temporary, no one is going to get around to clearing the infraction for 3 years after it gets reported, so you're probably fine, but there's no reason not to use a lay up stick and hang it off something near the terminal, like a pole step or span clamp

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
That fool clearly doesn't know what he's talking about, but sparkies tend to be that way. God's gift to anything wired in their minds.

There's really not much in the way of BSP information for drop wire storage, because as you imagine, it's either there for a purpose or it should be removed. Yes, there are means for insulating and storing (capping) unused drops for future use, but that assumes that they are physically attached at both ends. There are even wire storage closures for buried drops that are similar to very small pedestals. Those are designed to house about 50 feet of drop wire and are generally used in new construction areas.

Boy, wouldn't he be in for a surprise if he encountered ringing voltage, coin relay voltage or DS1 circuits that can get upward of 130 volts! He sure would be eating his words in no time.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Remember Communication Utilities are not requires to follow the NFPA 70 they live in their own world. It would be up to the utility company that owns pole OR the local jurisdiction that owns the device the cable is drape across.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Highest voltage I've seen is g.shdsl carriers when wired for power. Those go up to +-190 so 380v across the pair. And you could have like 8 or 20 or whatever of those in a cable easily.

dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Outside of taking a voltmeter to the cables, no possible way to tell if the drops are alive or not. ponder

I Love FEATURE 00
You could use the wet finger test.

Retired phone dude
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
A shocking idea! shocked grin

I Love FEATURE 00
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,109 Shoretel
187,715 CTX100 install
186,806 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 158 guests, and 420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024