web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
This system is an XTS-IP600 with three cabinets connected, SW 3.00. When the system loses power, it will not restart on its own. The only way is to initialize it and reload the database. The MPB-E card has been replaced with the same results. All other cards and power supplies appear to be good. Any ideas?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I would have thought the battery on the processor was the issue, but since you replaced the card, I would lean toward a corrupt database that has been uploaded. One way to prove it is to default it, program the basics like slot assignments and some key programming, remove the power and see if it comes back up with the minimal programming. If it does, then there's your answer. If not, find hammer and replace with Summit? Maybe try loading an older backup? Wasn't there a 4.?? version? Maybe try that?

"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken"
OP Offline
The database has been running for years, so I doubt that it just became corrupt on its own. I did upload an older copy of the database with the same results using two different MPB-E cards. Either one will start up fine with just the one cabinet and retain programming. It's when the expansion cabinets are connected that it won't start without initialization. We've rolled the cabinets and the LMU cards/cables around, but no change. Even with all of the cards pulled in cabinets 1 and 2, as long as either one or both are connected, it won't start.

I suppose that the LMU1 card in cabinet 0 could be faulty, since that's about the only thing we haven't replaced. If that was the case, I would think that the system wouldn't communicate with the other cabinets at all. That card doesn't have any intelligence, so defaulting the database wouldn't matter to it.

Yes, there was a version 4 software level, but it's way too much of a pain to upgrade since XTS-Admin is required to make that change. Too many bugs there to take the risk.

NO, I'm not going to embarrass myself by suggesting that the customer replace a $100,000 system that they bought from us, at least not with a Summit. I wouldn't trust that thing as a wheel chock!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
The LMU Card would have been my next guess or any hardware past the first KSU since it seems to work fine on it's own. I do remember that when I would upload networked systems, I would have to manually enter the IP address' of the other locations, so I know what you mean about the flaky admin software to go along with the errors. Without trying the basic programming and slot info and powering down, I don't think you can completely rule out a corrupt database, although it does seem like it might be hardware related now. Maybe make sure the amphenol cables are securely connected to the LMU cards and not cock-eyed. Other than that, I'm not sure. As far as the Summit goes, I haven't had many issues at all with the it. It seems to be a much better product than the SBX for sure.

"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken"
I am kind of remembering something like this with an MPBE in the past, and I am not positive but I thought I had to eject the LMU on the first cabinet, then power up the system. At some point I reinserted the card before the system fully booted (clicked) but I can not remember exacty but think it was when the first light would come on as it proceeds up. Hope that makes sense, it has unfortunally been about 8 years since I last touched an XTS. They were fun.

OP Offline
Everything you all have said so far makes sense, except for the fact that this issue just started happening. The system has sustained many power outages for years. Each and every time, it would come back up on its own with no human intervention required. This was the first power outage where this problem arose. Since we have dozens and dozens of these systems out there, many of them fairly large, we need to try to be proactive.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024