web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#74300 04/24/05 08:15 AM
OP Offline
I am the most computer literate in the office so I have been volunteered to install and maintain the Partner II System. My problem is that I have set the fax on extension 27. Assigned Line 5 as the fax line. I can send faxes all day with no problem, but an inbound call to the fax line results in a ring on the inbound phone and no answer on the Partner System. Out bound the Line 5 light is red inbound no light goes on on the line 5 button. I have gone through all of the suggested steps in the manuals with no luck, The fax machine is an HP Laserjet 3200 (multifunction machine) it runs fine on a dedicated line. Any help would be much appreciated.

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

did you assign line 5 to x27 program 301
and do you have line 5 ringing x27 and not
the other phones
also take all the other lines off x27
same program
if you call x27 does the fax answer ?

How are you calling into the newly installed fax line? if you are just grabbing an available line at another ext i believe the system will handle the call as voice call not hearing a cng tone. try having another know working fax call it. Also good idea to set ring count on fax machine to. just a thought Good Luck.

oops- that set ring count on machine to 1.

i believe the system will handle the call as voice call not hearing a cng tone.

The PII does not detect CNG tones so it has no way of knowing that it is a fax call. You either have to set up a dedicated line that will ring only the fax extension (if you want to use the line also for outgoing voice calls) or manually transfer the call to the fax extension when you pick up a ringing line and hear the CNG tone. Partner Messaging, PMVS or an ASA/DXD card will do this automatically (with ACS R.3 or later) but not any Partner system by itself.

I wouldn't even make x27 a fax extension(#601). The Partner system uses an obsolete "fax management system" that is supposed to tell you when the fax machine is out of paper. Exactly how this is supposed to work has always been a great mystery. I remember looking into this many years ago and I believe there were proprietary fax machines made also by AT&T that would communicate this information. That's not going to happen today.

Do what KENB says, assign line 5 to x27 (Line Assignments #301). You can assign it to other extensions if you want to mak outgoing calls on it. Make sure no other lines are assigned to x27 though.

Now, make line 5 ring only on x27. (central telephone program) Immediate ring on x27, no ring on any others.

You should be able to intercom x27 and have the fax pick up. When a call comes in on line 5 it should not ring anywhere and be picked up by the fax. The line 5 button on any extension that you have it on will indicate ringing then go steady red when the fax machine picks up.

And, yes, I would set the ring count on the fax machine to 1 ring also. No sense in allowing the line to ring more than that.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
I would go ahead and assign the other lines to Ext. 27 as well, set them to NO ring, and set the ALS to 5-4-3-2-1. That way, if someone is making a voice call on line 5, the FAX machine (Ext. 27) can still send out a FAX using one of the other lines.

As usual another good idea from TTT. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
Thanks for the suggestions, but still no joy. Here is where I stand. I have set the fax to answer on 1 ring as suggested. I have assigned line 05 to extension 27 which is assigned as the Fax extension. I have set the ring to Immediate Ring. I still cannot get the fax to pick up the calls however. Again the fax works when hard wired to an external line.

Now I have another issue. When I first set up the system I had no poblem programming the buttons on the phones for DND, redial etc. Now none of those buttons work and I cannot program any new ones. I tried a 989-clear and although it said it was resetting it did not. I do not really want to reset, but it looks like that may be all I can do. Any other suggestions?? Thanks in advance guys.

Has to work but it could be your problems are related. What happens if you plug a standard single line phone into the x27 jack instead of the fax? Intercom 27 and it should ring. Now call line 5 and only that phone should ring again. If this doesn't work something is wrong, if it does the fax should pick up.

From the sound of your not being able to program buttons your fax programming may not be working either. If 98925327 is not helping I'm thinking your problem is because your PII is toast.

-Hal

OP Offline
Well 989 CLEAR does work after all. It turned out to be one of those ID10T errors. I kept forgetting to put a # in front of the 989. Just when I did not need it to work it did and I started over. I have not tried the single line phone yet, perhaps tomorrow morning. So here is the next bit of info. According to the manuals, my system speed dial numbers are 20 through 79. However 20 through 59 give me an error whenever I try to type them in when programming the Speed Dials. Feature 2 errors before I get the 0 or any other number. However Feature 60 gives me F60 on the display. For Kicks I followed it with 1-800-xxx-xxxx and it took it. So now I have speed dials from Feature 601 through Feature 618 programmed. Go figure. I am truly frustrated about the programming aspect of the system, but when it works it does fine. Any other suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks to all for all the help thus far.
defaultphoneguy
-Hal [/B][/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 86 guests, and 248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024