web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#89886 05/12/08 03:45 AM
OP Offline
I have project coming up that I will need to install some sort of small office system to support around (guessing at this point) 20 people. They will also need voice mail. I have looked through a lot of the R5 manuals (I have 4 of those systems out there) but I haven't ever ran across anything that says, "OK 20 people you need x number of trunk lines".

How would you set this up?
How many trunk lines (Centrex lines) would this need to have?
Is the partner to small of a system to handle this amount of extensions?

Thanks for you time and help on this.

Mike Jones
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Spam Hunter
Online Content
Spam Hunter
Hey Mike,

For 20 users, I think the Partner ACS will be fine. I'm not sure what the correct way is to calculate the required number of POTs lines, but I think I've seen estimates like 1 line for every 3 people.

I Love FEATURE 00
sph Offline
Doesn't this depend on the expected usage patterns. Which are different from industry to industry, and also the individual's job requirements.
I've also found that regardless of the technical requirements the boss/ceo/executives ALWAYS wnat to have a line available.

Yes, it depends on their expected usage. What kind of business is it? Generally I find 4 or 5 lines are sufficient but again that depends on what they do.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
This apparently is going to be for a administrative office to move into. In talking with someone a minute ago, it looks like they are planning on moving around 6 people in there when and if they decide to go into this old building. They plan to grow by about the same amount of people within the next couple of years.

This being said I think they can be expected to be on the phones a lot, even more so than most places of busniess.

I would like to have room to grow with them if it is at all possible with the Partner.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Mike Jones
Do they have anything now? Almost always the customer will have an idea how many lines they will want. "Administrative office" tells me nothing. What kind of business? They all say they will be on the phones a lot.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
I would quote a DSX80 wink but Partner will handle the growth just fine .

In a situation like this I like to use telco VM as a indicator of line usage , if their getting calls going to VM during business hours it means you need to add some lines

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
OP Offline
This will be a grants compliance office. Their job is to basically make sure we get our grants in so they are all day long on the phone. Remember this is a hospital.

The building their are considering moving into is a old building. Their may be a little bit of 1A2 Key stuff in their but i am going to tear out everything and wire it back with 4 pairs.

Not a lot of effort went into the cabling before. 25 pairs just hanging out of the walls. The closet (if you can call it that) is really a closet like in your house. Not much to it.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike Jones
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Hey Mike,
The Partner is a good little system and easy to grow.
We don't normally recommend it to anyone thinking they will grow beyond 33 extensions using POTS lines.
Has far as how many lines. In an administrative environment with 20 extensions I would probably recommend 8 to 10 lines. Which is knocking at the door for a T-1. Just a thought.
Have you thought about maybe using an IPO with a PRI and DID's? Then it would be easier to link to your Definity if ever needed.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
OP Offline
Thanks for your reply Mike. I know in the past the IPO had it's issue's but it may be better now. I will give it a look. As for the PRI, that may be a really good option. If i do not have to turn on DCS, which is very expensive for the amount of ports I have licensed.

Connecting them back to my PBX would give them 5 digit dialing back to the complex which would be really nice for them. I will look into this too.

Thanks again Mike.

Mike Jones

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,875
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,740 Shoretel
189,815 CTX100 install
187,942 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 21
teleco 9
dexman 6
dans 6
Who's Online Now
4 members (dexman, jeffmoss26, JBean3329, justbill), 147 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024