web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hello!
Asking for trouble, i know, but I'm trying to keep a Merlin 410 system going, and have had trouble with the system crashing when the red warning light on the CU comes on. If I unplug something (the feature package II especially) it goes off and the system works again without the features. I assume it's a power supply issue. I have tried disconnecting each extension to see if there is one that is drawing too much power, but no one extension makes the difference.
I see from the manual that if more than 14 devices are connected, it needs an "335A Auxiliary Power Unit (3165)", but we are only up to about 10 (8 phones, 2 102 speaker boxes). Also, the manual says to plug a line form the APU into the Auxiliary Power Jack on the CU, but as far as I can see, ours doesn't have one! I have taken the power supply board out of the 410 to look for anything fried, but there wasn't anything. It seemed to be emitting all the voltages called for. On the bench the problem went away when I gently touched some capacitors, and did not return ... until I reconnected it in service ;(
I saw an old post saying two large resistors on the power supply circuit are the usually culprits, and can be replaced, but I could not find any resistors above the regular size. Please,
(1) do you think it is power supply?
(2) any ideas to trouble-shoot the supply I have?
(3) can I get a refurbished one anywhere? (have looked - can't find)
(4) could I solve the problem by getting an 335A auxiliary power unit?
Many thanks!

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

How about just replacing the whole thing, why are you wasting your time? I would prefer an 820D2 which is a bit newer, but there are plenty of those old breadbox 410s out there for next to nothing. Just Google "Merlin 410".

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
RIP Moderator
RIP Moderator
I agree with Hal about going to the 820D, if you are going to stay with that platform.

They have a lot more features and as I recall, they are easier to program as well.

RULE NUMBER 2, "THINKIN' WON'T GET IT, YOU GOTTA KNOW!" RULE NUMBER 3, if you need TIER-3 SUPPORT on a LEGEND or MAGIX, go to http://home.comcast.net/~merlinman -
if you pulled out the feature module and the system works with out module it's the module not the power , good luck on finding one , google the feature module you may find some one to fix it

Theres a link above for equipment ,
why dont you call and see if they can supply a 410 or fm2 ,an 820d2 is listed ,
Good luck

Every day you walk in and the 410 is working ,walk over and say "thank you"

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hey hbiss, merlinman, cvrbob ans KENB,

Thank you - you guys are fantastic. Lots of good advice from the "experts", all within 12 hours.

Hbiss and merlinman, I was reluctant to go to something I don't know so well, but it sounds like a transition to 820 will probably make life easier, both more reliable and 'user-friendly', so I'll take a close look and check out the link.

cvrbob yes, that's what I thought at first, but since then I have been able to plug the feature module back in, the light stays green and all the features work fine ... most of the time, and I have "seen red" without the feature pack in place. KENB yes, you have got it, I say "thank you" after every important call ends without disconnection, too. There is just no way to know when it is going to flicker to red. The last 'blip' was a week ago.

Thanks again all of you!

Cheers,
pm

It reminded me that I still have a box of new and refurbed FP's, cards and other crap from these antiques sitting in the warehouse. Started to throw them out a couple of years ago, but decided that I wouldn't.

If you need anything that I might have, just PM me. You handle shipping and it is yours if I have it.

Yes, be thankful it works for now.

Ed

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024