Somebody asked what was put between CPE and Telco in the early days. The generic term was 'coupler', supposed to protect Telco from the strange and wonderous voltages that CPE worked on. One common unit was an STCQX that put out grounded ring. Without the ringer card, you could 'option' it for a dry contact closure, I think that was an RDMZR. There were also coupler 'racks that could slot 10 or 20 coupler cards. And then there were the 'recorder couplers' RDL, B/S # KS19522, if I remember correctly. And if you were building and selling telephone answering machines,(Code-A-Phone, Phone Mate, etc) you could sell it with an APCM installed, then the customer did'nt have to have a coupler. APCM translated as Authorized Protective Connecting Module, Or, Almost Perfect Control Of Manufacturers. (Yes, there were some HARD feelings in the early '80's)
Now the BIG question! What was the CARTER DECISION and what did it cause, in the long run?
John C
Are we having fun yet?

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.