Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BrianS Offline OP
OP Offline
We are in a rural area where people will pay for quality but keeping costs down are #1 priority. Since it is small there has been little need to offer VOip or spend the resources to come on line with it. One of my salespeople thinks now is the time to spend money on getting trained, parts in stock, etc even though very few people need or want it. He asked today why shouldn't we do this? Why carry one product over the other feature and price wise? What are their downfalls?

Any help would be appreciated. Brian

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

The biggest downfall to VoIP is poor implementation and your learning curve. VoIP can do amazing things but it's more involved with it's setup.

I think it would be wise and prudent to research it and at least get a framework for how to do VoIP with whatever product you sell. Just dont believe the marketting and make your own sane judgements.

As i'm sure others on here will disagree, I believe that VoIP is where the teleco industry is heading. I dont think it will be a flash in the pan but more a long-running transition. In 10-15 years who knows what will be in place.

VoIP has a 4.1% market penetration right now as compared to traditional Teleco. It has doubled from last year. It is expected to double again over this coming year. And while that penetration is largely residential, dont think for a minute that AT&T and the others are going to invest in VoIP services and not roll it out to the commercial crowd.

The internet is an ever changing beast and seems to have a knack for devouring older technologies and making them new. I dont believe this is that much different. E-Mail has replaced standard letters. HTML has replaced mail-order and bill-payment. This board has replaced the meeting around a beer at the local pub. I view VoIP as the next evolution of telephone communications. smile

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Cisco is going to require a few certifications. you need to both Sales Certs and Technical Certs. You need to also purchase a demo kit which is around $7500.

My sister-in-law is the Senior VP of a Bank in CA. They are using Shoretel and she loves it.

Not sure on 3comm.

Admin
Admin
Shoretel's major issue currently is the patent violation lawsuit by Mitel Networks recently. Their own pubs say the litigation will be expensive and the pending suit could stop their ability to ship equipment and parts thus impacting their business in a very bad way. This lawsuit even stalled their pending IPO for investor cash. Shoretel has an excellent reputation from endusers and I hate to see them encounter this.

Cisco very expensive to implement from the dealer channel to the enduser perspective. I know of one shop making the lowest single digit profit that you can have moving the equipment. Not impressed with the sites I have seen put in by others or the sites I've had to interface other manufacturers systems to.

3Coms a joke in this area.

[Linked Image]
BrianS Offline OP
OP Offline
How about the Avaya IP office? What's your take on that product?

How about the oldest name in Voip - AltiGen.
Just tootin my horn again.

We are installing 3Com NBX and it is a very good system and we also do Tadiran VoIP and Samsung VoIP. It seems that the traditional PBX companies have a very big jump on the Pure VoIP companies. They have been doing phones for a long time and are not trying to reinvent the wheel just to do something as simple as a message lamp or a conference call. Each have there own place in the market and as Kumba stated the implementation is very important. If the installing company knows nothing about putting in a network then how are they suppose to understand the VoIP setup and where the problems are at. It makes for a very trying time if you have to have your Network Engineers out to assist the Telephone guy with setting up his telephones. The other situation is if you have a Network engineer trying to put in a pure VoIP system and they do not understand the basics of how a phone should work they leave the customer with a big mess. I have had to go into so many places to fix the problems that are left behind by someone else that did not understand what they are working with. Just my 2cents.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
The problem with VOIP is very simple: Pure voice requires very low bandwidth but requires immediacy - When I talk to you I don't want any delays in the conversation. Data requires large bandwidth, but immediacy is not an issue - If some packets don't get through, just resend them.

I've gotten my CCNA and i will tell you straight out - I don't think VOIP is ready for prime time.

It's fine for phone cards and for situations where the phone is not "mission critical". But ask yourself - Who owns the Internet? Who manages the Internet? Who or what controls what path your packets take through the Internet? Who governs what protocols that are used in every section of the Internet your calls will pass through?

The answers: No One, No One, No One and No One.

Therefore how can you guarantee QOS?

You can't.

If you run all VOIP calls on a private network, then sure. But what's the point?

There are several advantages to VOIP, but many disadvantages.

The Internet was DESIGNED with randomness built in. The Telephone Network was designed with dedicated paths and the ultimate in reliability.

IMHO there are only two reasons that VOIP has gotten as far as it has:

1- The Data wienies have taken over management and operation of the voice systems. They don't understand voice and are terrified of PBXs.

2- People have gotten so used to poor service on cell phones that they think this is the norm. They are now willing to accept rotten service on their wireline as well as on their wireless equipment.

I'd be willing to discuss this rationally and calmly with anyone that would like to. I've got 40 years in the business and have certifications on Key Systems, PBXs and COs on the Voice side and have had an RCDD and a CCNA as well as much experience in LANs & WANs.

My personal feeling is that Voice is Voice and Data is Data. Separate but Equal may not be a good concept for education, but I think it's ideal for communications.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
You wont find much resistance on this board. There's only like 3-4 members who do any VoIP work that will admit to it having positives.

Most everyone else dislikes it with extreme prejudice smile

I'm one of the few who do VoIP work and like it.

VoIP right now is more like the wild wild west with everyone trying to jump on the gravy train with biscuit wheels and ride it to the station. The way things seem to be moving towards is that in a few years (2-3) all the hype will settle down and the real viable utilization of VoIP will start to come into it's own. VoIP as it exists today is merely a marketing blitz.

I dont think anyone here will deny the inevitable convergence of all communications into one pipe. Currently the internet (or more precisely IP Networks) is the only medium with the latent ability to deliver it. Verizon FiOS and Time Warner are good working examples of this.

You seem to forget that FiOS and "cable telephone" only deliver service over their plant as IP (and I'm not even sure it is IP). Once it gets to their head end or CO it goes out over regular TELCO facilities as normal. Hardly a convergence, just another way for the cable companies to empty your wallet and a necessity for Verizon in order to compete.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,827
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,564 Shoretel
189,433 CTX100 install
187,599 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 28
teleco 8
dexman 6
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 138 guests, and 237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024