Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#474949 01/15/10 05:28 AM
OP Offline
Hey all,
Had a customer lose his FIOS. I roll out to his property and find his aerial drop lying on the ground. Tree branch fell and snapped it at the strain relief.

Oh well, grap a coffee, relax and prepare for Verizon customer service hell! Shockingly I get a truck roll scheduled for the next day, they tell me sometime between 8am and 9pm...ugh!

The FIOS installs I have seen to this point have always involved a tech using a pre-connected drop cable between the terminal and the ONT. So my assumption is the drop will have to be replaced.

The next day the tech shows up at 4pm and to my suprise informs me he can splice the drop together.

I have to give Verizon credit on this one, their fiber tech really had his stuff together. He used a very cool portable fusion splicer and a small pole mounted splice case. He did the whole job from his bucket and was in and out in just over an hour.

I just wish the customer service end of Verizon could work as well as the field side.
Repair time = 1.2 hrs
Time on phone with customer service = 3 hrs
" The aerial drop is lying on the ground! do u still want me to turn my router on and off!.....god help me "

Alec

-Alec
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I worked a complete FIOS installation in Malibu CA for one of my customers and they needed several truck rolls. After the cable was pulled, (I had a rope pulled from the street to the garage for them already) another truck came and did the fusion splice to the fiber enclosure pigtail inside the customer premise. Then another truck came with the CATV box and wireless router. 3 or 4 trucks the same day in rapid succession. They actually did a nice job on that one.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Here in NYC, 1 guy did everything. He was here for 6 or 7 hours, but he did it all. Aerial pull, drilling, mounting the box, running the coax, setting the router and training me. (He would have been here longer, but he was able to reuse one piece of coax and a Cat5 run from the router to the switch.) All nice work, all well done.

Excellent job and I'm very fond of my FIOS.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
I have to say I have come across a few fios installs so far. They were all done very well. It is not available to me yet..but they are getting close they have started pulling fiber into my area.

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
I did plenty of those the last 3 years of my career.You get into some interesting situations...In the rain,in the wind,snow,dark,ect. If somebody could develop a quicker way ah-la scotch-lock they'd be multi-millionaires

KLD Offline
welcome to the BB, Half-Tap.

Fiber Scotchlock.....hmmmmmm. Nice idea...but AMP has mechnical splices (per fiber) and connectors with the mechnical splice (pre-polished).

Back when smoke signals were still common and I was a cable splicer...United Telephone had a fiber "crash" kit with large, akward, mechnical splices...I got the pleasure of using one in a pit in the dark. Not the best time to learn fiber-in-the-ditch splicing.

Hope you enjoy the BB. :toothy:

Ken
---------

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,625 Shoretel
189,515 CTX100 install
187,772 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Yoda), 144 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024