I have been doing fiber for quite a while now and I install a minimum of 6 strands to each location (I prefer 12 strands) with each providing a home run link back to the server/switch/router, etc. Maybe it's because the people here in western PA change IT companies like they were socks, but each IT management company will demand different connectivity resources. They never have a problem with multiple strands running back to the main server location.

Cisco and HP ProCurve make it easy with fiber connectivity integrated into their products, but other manufacturers require media converters and that is when it becomes most important to provide multi-fiber connectivity at each location. No one will ever fault you for providing more fiber, but don't be caught short for providing too few fibers. The cost, in over all material and labor is almost the same for 6 or 12 fiber. Personally, I would never run just two fiber in any instance when talking about separate buildings. Now, if there is only one computer and can NEVER be anything else, then you may have a point in running just a 2 fiber cable. I wouldn't, but that's just me and being old. smile

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet